This week saw the release of the world’s first 108MP camera setup in the Xiaomi Mi Note 10. The camera is certainly impressive on paper, but Google and Apple are still proving that the best smartphone photos are all about software, not megapixel counts.
In other news, Samsung announced it’s closing its custom CPU core development in favor of off-the-shelf offerings from ARM. Considering how the Exynos versions of Galaxy phones always lagged behind their Qualcomm counterparts, this will probably prove to be the correct move for the South Korean giant.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- Xiaomi Mi Note 10 review: A photographer’s Swiss Army knife — Xiaomi’s Mi Note 10 has a generic design, but it’s what’s inside that matters.
- Motorola Moto G8 Plus review: Lacking polish — Is the action camera and near-stock build of Android enough to stave off the competition in the cutthroat mid-range segment?
- Google Pixelbook Go review: Value is in the eye of the beholder — The Google Pixelbook Go is a thin and light Chrome OS machine that offers speedy performance for too much money.
- Google Nest Wifi review: A well-working, beautiful router — Google Nest Wifi looks great, but how does it function? We take a closer look at the router in this review.
- Apple and Google prove camera software is more important than megapixels — Lots of cheaper phones offer 48 or 64MP cameras, but the leaders are still using 12 megapixels. What gives?
- RCS vs WhatsApp: Thoughts from a long-time WhatsApp user — Spoiler alert: I probably won’t be switching from WhatsApp. Here’s why.
- Google’s other hardware acquisitions: Where are they now? — Google’s most recent hardware acquisition is Fitbit. How are all the other hardware acquisitions faring?
- Ditching custom CPUs is the right call for Samsung’s Exynos — Samsung is abandoning its custom Mongoose CPU design inside its Exynos processors, which is probably for the best.
- My Verizon Wireless nightmare: Failure to activate — My attempt to switch from AT&T to Verizon Wireless has been a complete disaster. The industry needs to do better than this.
- 5 additions and tweaks we’d like to see from Google Pixel 4a — From a bigger battery to more storage, here’s what we’d like to see in next year’s budget Pixel phone.
Learn more on the Android Authority Podcast
This week on the podcast the team was joined by C. Scott Brown to discuss Pixel 4 discounts, Astro-mode rollouts, and Xiaomi’s latest penta-camera smartphone. Listen to the full episode below!
Want to receive the weekly podcast on your device? Subscribe using your favorite player below!
Who wants to win a Samsung Galaxy S10e?
This week, we’re giving away a brand new Samsung Galaxy S10e. Enter this week’s Sunday giveaway for your chance to win!
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.