Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Android: The Samsung Galaxy unFolding
This week’s biggest story was undoubtedly the Samsung Galaxy Fold. Early review copies have tons of issues that won’t be fixed before the April 26 release date. It might be the first to market, but consumers looking to buy folding phones might want to hold off.
The Galaxy Fold wasn’t the only phone we got our hands on this week. We also got a first look at the Oppo Reno, the Samsung Galaxy A70, and the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7. There are also more and more rumors coming out about the OnePlus 7, which looks to be just around the corner. We even got a glimpse at new renders for the Pixel 3a and 3a XL.
Apple and Qualcomm managed to come to an agreement that will likely result in Qualcomm modems making their way into future iPhones (plus a hefty $6 billion payment). Not surprisingly, Intel dropped all plans for 5G smartphone modems shortly thereafter.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- Samsung Galaxy Fold hands-on: Amazing, and equally concerning — The Samsung Galaxy Fold is cool and novel, but is it really ready for consumer release?
- Samsung Galaxy Fold issues: What’s happening, what can Samsung do about it? — With review devices breaking after a few days, is this the Galaxy Note 7 all over again?
- Huawei P30 Pro camera review: Next level optics, low-light king — Find out how the impressive Huawei P30 Pro camera specs translate into everyday performance.
- Oppo Find X camera review: Elevating experience, average photos — The Oppo Find X’s elevating camera is fancy and unique, but can it impress a true photo enthusiast?
- Oppo Reno hands-on: A shark-fin selfie shooter and 10x hybrid zoom — We finally got our hands on the Oppo Reno phones, which might give the P30 Pro camera a run for its money.
- Samsung Galaxy A70 hands-on: The A-series grows up — This larger and more expensive model in Samsung’s mid-range A line could be another winner for the company.
- It’s April 16, and Android OEMs have already launched 60+ phones this year — On average a new phone is released every other day. Is this a good thing or a bad thing for Android?
- Why Google needs help from OEMs to fix Wear OS — OEM customization of stock Android pushed the platform further, and Wear OS might need the same treatment.
- The Samsung Galaxy Fold doesn’t need to beat the Huawei Mate X to market — Samsung doesn’t have time to fix the Galaxy Fold before release day, Is delaying it the right move?
- Android’s Bluetooth latency needs a major overhaul for real-time content — Bluetooth audio is slowly taking over, and Android needs to improve to keep up with the trend.
Learn more on the Android Authority Podcast
On this week’s edition of the podcast we discuss the Samsung Galaxy Fold and what the deal between Apple and Qualcomm could mean for the future of 5G. Click below to start listening now!
Want to receive the weekly podcast on your device? Subscribe using your favorite player below!
Who wants to win a Samsung Galaxy S10?
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.