This week we reviewed the LG G8 ThinQ, which didn’t quite live up to the competition. Samsung released more information about the mid-range A series of devices, adding on the new Galaxy A80 and A70 phones. The A80 might not have all the features Samsung fans want, but its spinning pop-up camera sure does look cool! For those not into fancy pop-up cameras, the Honor 20 Lite could be more up your alley.
In other news, the Trump administration outlined its plans to aggressively expand 5G coverage, relying entirely on the private sector. AT&T is pushing 5G service to five more US cities, despite not selling any 5G phones. Qualcomm also announced three new mid-range Snapdragon processors, focusing on improved camera and gaming performance.
After the lack-luster announcement of Apple’s streaming service Apple TV Plus last month, Disney released more information about it’s upcoming streaming service Disney Plus. At just $6.99 a month, it could give Netflix a run for its money. Even T-Mobile is getting in on the game with its cable alternative called TVision, which is essentially just a rebrand of Layer3.
Here are the top 10 stories of the week
- LG G8 ThinQ review: LG chooses to blend in rather than stand out — The G8 is a big upgrade from last year, but it doesn’t shine in today’s competitive landscape.
- Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus: What can you do with 12GB of RAM and 1TB storage? — We crunch the numbers and find out what this $1600 phone is capable of.
- Redmi Note 7 vs Samsung Galaxy M30 comparison — Both of these phones pack great displays and good specs. Which one will come out on top?
- Why the Google Pixel 3a could be a game-changer — The Pixel 3a could be the most exciting mid-range device in years thanks to Google’s incredible camera tech.
- I ditched Google Play Music for my own Plex server: The good and the bad — Google Play Music isn’t long for this world, but Plex might be the perfect substitute.
- Are the new AirPods (2019) worth it? — Apple’s update to the super popular AirPods headphones keep the looks and upgrade the internals. But are they worth the price?
- Rush to 5G: Carriers act like children in pointless race to scream ‘first!’ — With 5G just around the corner, the fight to be first is just getting silly.
- I’m going to ditch Netflix for Disney Plus – here’s why — Disney’s new streaming service offers real competition to Netflix at a lower price. Count us in.
- How to use Samsung MultiStar to try PC-like multitasking before Android Q — Android Q will add multitasking soon, but until then Samsung users can try out MultiStar.
- Move over lootboxes, there’s a new monetization king in town — Everyone hates lootboxes, but they might finally be on their way out the door.
Learn more on the Android Authority Podcast
On this week’s edition of the podcast we discuss the new Qualcomm processors and what they could mean for the mid-range phone market. Click below to start listening now!
Want to receive the weekly podcast on your device? Subscribe using your favorite player below!
Who wants to win a Huawei P30 Pro?
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.