Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Android: Zoom's fall, benchmark cheating and more
OnePlus has been slowly graduating from a disruptive little brand into a full-blown smartphone OEM. The upcoming OnePlus 8 series is set to go live on April 14th, just a few days away. Save yourself from some unexpected surprises by reading up on everything we know so far now. When that’s done, we explored OnePlus’ pricing over the years, see how they went from budget to premium in anticipation of a new record high price for their next phone.
Zoom quickly became the hated king of video conferencing with a few security issues. Until things are patched fully, companies and governments are taking action. Google already banned the tool from its employees’ machines, and now teachers in Singapore are banned from using it. As we say, as long as folks can hack into meetings, especially classroom meetings with children, maybe other tools are the answer. Speaking of, Google Duo is a solid tool for smaller groups, learn about Duo and others in our little Google Duo vs Skype, WhatsApp and others discussion.
We didn’t review any big phones this week, but we did take a deep dive on a new video platform and a set of gaming headphones. Check out our reviews of the Razer Kraken Ultimate and our thorough look at Quibi.
Cheaters! We all know that phone benchmarking is a difficult task, one that can be gamed. MediaTek has made a statement about their exploits of the leading benchmarking apps, their response comes off as “we all do it.” It’s a good thing we’ve got Gary on our team, SpeedTest G hasn’t been hacked.
For those that celebrate it: Happy Easter!
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- Free movies! – You can now watch some Apple TV Plus and YouTube originals for free
- What’s up with the new phone? – Google Pixel 4a: Everything we know so far (Update: April 9)
- How fast am I going? – How to reuse your old phone as a sim racing dashboard
- 8,294,400 pixels – The best 4K monitors you can get on a budget
- April Fool’s Day joke? – Spacebar in Gboard now says ‘Google’ and people hate it (Update: Reverting)
- Samsung responds – There’s now a petition to stop Samsung from using Exynos processors (Update)
- Freeform photography – HUAWEI Mate 40 tipped to offer ‘freeform’ lens, but what does that mean?
- Game time – PlayStation 5 games: What’s expected, what’s been confirmed
- Cancer – 5G is not going to microwave your brain: All the myths, debunked
- Apps and more apps in our Android Apps Weekly – Disorder, Sky: Children of the Light, and more apps hit the market this week.
From around the network
- Some fun drone movies – Drone Rush
- How to podcast from home – SoundGuys
- Headphone buying guide – SoundGuys
- Rattle your bones – Bone conduction explained – SoundGuys
Deals of the week:
- Our pick for device deal of the week: Chromebook deals
- Our AA TechDeals deal of the week: Yoga unlimited
- Bonus – Keep your phone clean: UV sanitizer
Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus international giveaway – S Pen and all
This week, we’re giving away a brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus smartphone. Enter this week’s Sunday giveaway for your chance to win!
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.