Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
You told us: Here's when you last received a system update on your phone
System updates are a pretty important feature for smartphones, patching security flaws and fixing bugs. These updates even bring new features, making your old phone more capable than the day you got it.
When was the last time our readers received an update though? We posed this question earlier this week and here’s how you voted in this poll.
When was the last time your phone received an update?
Over 2,200 votes were counted as of writing, and the most popular option was “this week,” accounting for 27% of the vote. People who received an update in the last few months accounted for 26.5% of polled readers, just missing out on the top spot.
In third place was the camp that said they received an update this month, accounting for 22.1% of respondents. In other words, almost 76% of polled readers said they received an update in the last few months or more frequently. That’s not a bad figure for Android, especially as some brands like Samsung switch to quarterly updates for their budget or older phones.
Finally, the bottom three picks were “in the last year” (11.79%), “in the last couple of years” (9.23%), and “I don’t remember” (3.33%). That means almost a quarter of respondents aren’t seeing regular updates, if at all.
- the xlen: Android should have 10 years of support, the fact that we don’t is a stupid excuse, remove Google from android and create Android foundation that would provide updates in Linux/Windows like fashion.
- Terry Proveau: My Galaxy S20FE that cost only 240 CAD last December just got Android 12!
- Thelonius: My OnePlus 9 Pro was updated to the January patch on 01/05/22.
- Hilal: After purchasing my first smartphone in 2017, I received only one update for Android 7.1. I am still using it.
- Rassie: 2021 Nov last update on my S20FE in south afrika
- Joe Black: I received updates on Pixel and realme quite recently, not really fixed anything or add anything new, so I do not really care.
- Godwin Udoh: 5 October, 2021. I use a Nokia 5.1 Plus and official support for the phone ended in October 2021. I still get Google Play system updates (on the January patch right now) and I really need to get a new phone cos I get paranoid sometimes that my data is very vulnerable since I’m on an outdated security patch.