Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: You think the Sharp Aquos R6 is blazing hot
Sharp isn’t a top player when it comes to the global smartphone market, as it largely restricts its wares to its homeland of Japan. Nevertheless, the company’s Aquos R series of flagships have generally been pretty interesting propositions.
The manufacturer has just launched its Aquos R6 flagship and it looks like one of the most interesting flagships of 2021. The key feature is that solitary 20MP one-inch rear camera with Leica branding, with that sensor size being a first for a traditional smartphone form factor. So what do readers think of this device? We posed this question to you on May 17 and here’s how you voted.
Sharp Aquos R6: Hot or not?
Over 3,700 votes were tallied as of writing, and this might be one of the more one-sided results we’ve seen for our “hot or not” polls. Almost 91% of polled Android Authority readers thought that the Sharp Aquos R6 was indeed hot, working out to just over 3,400 votes.
We can totally understand why readers would like this phone given the aforementioned one-inch rear camera. But Sharp’s flagship is also equipped with several other impressive features, such as a Snapdragon 888 SoC, 240Hz IGZO OLED screen, a 5,000mAh battery, and a 3.5mm port. These additions certainly tick many boxes for power users and enthusiasts.
Roughly 9% of respondents didn’t like the Sharp Aquos R6 though. At least one reader lamented the lack of OIS on the rear camera but other comments didn’t seem to suggest a standout reason for disliking the device. We can think of a few possible downsides though, such as no wireless charging, no secondary rear cameras, and the lack of international launch info (Sharp’s track record suggests a Japan-only release).
- MM_Rafez: I just wish It had OIS ! I guess it’s a trade-off to fit this large sensor without having a massive camera bump. Now we need to see is the trade-off really worth it. A 1″ sensor without OIS or 1/1.2″ with OIS ?
- sachouba: It’s so great to see that Sharp is still in the smartphone market. They’ve always had visionary ideas for their phones, offering new views on smartphone innovation and the direction that it could take, like with their borderless Corner R smartphone in 2016. It’s fantastic to have some fresh ideas in a time where “smartphone innovation” according to most manufacturers rhymes with ridiculous ever faster charging and 18GB of memory.
- Lenardo Thomas: All I can say is the the smartphone market is gonna be looking good for a good couple of years to come.
- Yamateh Shino: pixel just left the group
- EasyCare: How does the camera bump look from the side? The back honestly doesn’t look too bad considering the big sensor size…better than Mi 11 Ultra in my opinion.
Thanks for voting in this poll and for leaving a comment. Would you buy the Sharp Aquos R6 if it were available in your market? Let us know below.