Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to set up a router — a step by step guide
Setting up a router may seem like a daunting task, but it’s a lot easier than you think. You just have to know which cable goes where and then configure a few settings to get the router up and running. You don’t need to be a computer wiz to get it done, all you have to do is follow a few simple steps described below.
How to set up a router
To set up a router, the first thing you have to do is unplug the modem you got from your ISP and then connect it to the router. Grab an ethernet cable, which is likely included in the box, plug one end into the modem, and the other end into the WAN port of your router. The WAN port could be labeled as “Internet” and looks the same as the LAN ports next to it. However, the port may be separated from the rest on some routers and almost always has a different color to make it stand out — like in the image above.
The next step is to plug the modem back in and wait a few minutes for it to set up, after which do the same with the router. Once that’s done, grab another ethernet cable and use it to connect your computer to the router. Now open a browser on your computer and visit the router’s configuration page. This should be listed in the instructions or on a label somewhere on the device, but in most cases, it’s either http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1.
After typing in the address, you’ll have to sign in. The login info should be written somewhere in the manual or on a sticker placed on the router, but in a lot of cases, the username is “admin” and the password is “password” — creative, I know.
After you log in, a setup wizard should pop up on the screen, guiding you through all the required settings. If it doesn’t, find and click the option called “Setup wizard” or something similar. Things are pretty straightforward from there, as you’ll have to give your router a name, select a security protocol, and so on. Once that’s done, your router will be set up and ready for use.
Step-by-step instructions on how to set up a router:
- Unplug the modem.
- Connect the modem and router (WAN port) with an ethernet cable.
- Plug the modem back in and wait a few minutes for it to set up.
- Plug in the router and wait a few minutes for it to set up.
- Connect a PC to the router with an ethernet cable.
- Open a browser on your PC and visit the router’s configuration page — usually http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1.
- Sign in with the login info written in the instructions or on a sticker located on the router.
- A setup wizard should now pop up. If it doesn’t, locate this option in the menu and click it.
- Follow the basic setup instructions, after which your router will be ready for use.
There you have it — that how to set up a router. Did you run into any issues or were you able to set it up without a problem? Let us know in the comments!