Samsung has just announced that its releasing a new version of its virtual reality headset, the Gear VR, with Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge compatibility. Much like the first edition Gear VR, which is only compatible with the Galaxy Note 4, this new headset is still considered an “Innovator Edition”. Samsung is still working on bringing their virtual reality technology to the next level, so this is still very much a beta product.
In terms of overall design and functionality, the new Gear VR will carry all of the original headset’s features. The new device is, however, is purported to be 15% lighter overall and feature an expanded 96-degree field of vision. The headset will also connect to one of the new Galaxy S handsets via a MicroUSB cord. There’s no information on price or availability quite yet, though we do know it will eventually be available in the Frost White color.
Samsung has just announced its new Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge handsets today at MWC 2015. Both devices feature a glass front and back plate, surrounded by a premium-feeling aluminum trim. The devices feature a 5.1-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED display and a Samsung Exynos 7420 processor backed by 3GB of RAM. While there’s no SD card expansion on either device, storage options have been bumped up to 32/64/128GB variants. We went hands-on with both devices earlier today, and you can find the official first impressions videos by following the links below.
If you’ve already decided to purchase either the Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge, would you be willing to pay a few extra hundred dollars for a virtual reality experience?[press]Samsung Expands its Unrivaled Mobile Virtual Reality Experience with Gear VR Innovator Edition for Galaxy S6 and S6 edge
Samsung continues its leadership in wearable technology and mobile virtual reality with its latest Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition, fully optimized and compatible with Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, its next generation smartphone. The Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition powered by Oculus gives more users the opportunity to enjoy Samsung’s unrivaled, fully immersive and cinematic virtual reality experience, with improved viewing as well as a more comfortable design.
- Extraordinary Entertainment: Optimized for both the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, and its 5.1-inch Super AMOLED display, the Gear VR Innovator Edition lets users engage with high resolution movies, TV shows, VOD services and photos like never before. With reduced pixilation and a wide field-of-view, users receive a better virtual reality experience with longer lasting usage time.
- Improved Comfort: The 15% reduction in size makes Samsung Gear VR a more comfortable to wear. Ergonomically redesigned straps give better weight balance, while mechanical ventilation supports an extended VR experience.
- High Quality Performance: Greater computing power and improved graphics quality enable users to explore the best virtual reality adventures.
- USB Compatibility: The Gear VR can now be powered with its USB port for extended usage time.
- Robust Ecosystem: Gear VR content is available for download via the Oculus Store. Users have an extensive selection of optimized, localized virtual reality content from top-tier creators including thrilling VR games and 360 degree including a new performance from Cirque du Soleil, Kurios.
For more product information, please visit www.samsungmobilepress.com.
Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition Product Specifications
Designed for innovative consumers, specifically VR enthusiasts, developers, mobile experts and professionals, and early technology adopters.
|Gear VR||Dimension||196 x 107.9 x 82.9 mm|
|Sensor||Accelerator, Gyrometer, Proximity(Mount/Unmount Detection)|
|FOV*Field of View||96 degree|
|IPD Coverage||54 ~ 70 mm (Fixed Lenses)|
|Accessory||Replaceable Face Form, Carrying Pouch, Lens Cleaning Cloth|
|Connectivity||microUSB connection to the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge|
* All functionality, features, specifications, and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice or obligation.[/press]