Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This render is a good summary of all the credible Galaxy S8 design rumors
It’s that time of the year. Between CES in early January and MWC in late February, rumors of flagships phones are running wild. It’s a great time to be a tech fan, for sure – everyone loves leaks – but let’s face it, a lot of the noise around major phone launches is just that: noise.
Full roundup: Galaxy S8 – everything we know so far
Two categories of stories that we usually classify as noise here at Android Authority are stories based on “leaked” case designs and fan renders. We tend to skip them because they are hardly ever indicative of what manufacturers are actually doing with the phones in question. At best, they are educated guesses. At worst, they are just junk.
We’re making an exception with the render below (which is based on this alleged Galaxy S8 case) because we think it’s a good depiction of what Samsung is likely to be doing with the newest Galaxy S.
The render was supplied to SamMobile by a reader called Chris. There’s no pretense here that it’s representing the real product, but it’s a good way to visualize what various reports have been saying about the Galaxy S8.
Let’s break down the elements of the render:
- Overall design Samsung is likely to keep the very successful design language it launched with the Galaxy S6. It wouldn’t make a lot of sense to come up with a completely new design when the existing one is well-known, relatively new, and closely associated to Samsung. We think Samsung will only make small tweaks to the recipe, like changing the location and styling of the flash module.
- No physical home button This one seems well established already. Multiple reports out of Korea say that Samsung will finally abandon the physical home button in favor of on-screen keys.
- High screen-t0-body ratio “Bezel-less” phones are all the rage and Samsung will likely capitalize on this trend, helped by the removal of the home button.
- More curves – Another safe bet is that Samsung will make the Galaxy S8 even “edgier.” The Edge design has been immensely successful, even spawning imitators, so expect Samsung to double down on it. According to Korean reports, the S8 will feature curved sides on the top and bottom, in addition to the sides.
- No visible fingerprint sensor – Rumor has it Samsung will somehow integrate the fingerprint sensor functionality in the screen, allowing for a much cleaner design.
A few questionable details:
- The camera There have been some rumors that Samsung would use a dual camera on the Galaxy S8.
- The color Gold is still popular, but rich colors are becoming increasingly trendy in phone design. Expect the Galaxy S8 to come in some vibrant color options.
- The Samsung logo The Samsung logo on the bottom front of the device looks out of place.
- The flash/heart rate sensor There’s something off about the placement of the flash/heart rate monitor on this render.
What do you think? Would you buy the Galaxy S8 if it looked close to this render?