Xiaomi’s Redmi Note 7 Pro might offer the most value for money in 2019 thus far, owing to its 48MP main camera, 4,000mAh battery, and powerful chipset. The manufacturer isn’t content to leave things be, as it’s issued a sizeable update (V10.2.8.0.PFHINXM) that brings quite a few camera tweaks to the phone.
For starters, Xiaomi has delivered sharpness improvements for 12MP and 48MP shots. We also see better low-light shots, improved auto-white balance when indoors, and exposure-related tweaks in portrait mode.
Xiaomi’s update also delivers a couple of system fixes and the March 2019 security patches. The latter is a bit disappointing when some devices have already received the April 2019 security updates. In any event, you can check out the full change-log below.
- Sharpness improvements in both 48 and 12MP modes
- Improvements in portrait mode underexposure issue
- Improvements in low light details visibility and image brightness
- Improvements in indoor AWB (auto white balance)
- Fix – Couldn’t light up screen using gestures
- Optimization – Screen brightness issues
- Optimization – Updated Android Security Patch to March 2019 for increased system security
Lock screen, status bar, notification shade
- Fix – Call-time bubble overlapping with notification icons
The Redmi Note 7 Pro delivers a ton of features for a starting price of around $200, Dhruv Bhutani wrote in our review. He praised the phone’s design, camera experience, and battery life, but expressed disappointment in the software glitches and ads throughout the interface.
“On the other hand, if you know your way around MIUI and can deal with the software’s eccentricities, the Redmi Note 7 Pro offers the best hardware in the segment, hands down,” he concluded, while also pointing to the Galaxy M20 as a viable alternative.
Unfortunately, the phone is exclusive to China and India, but there are quite a few third-party retailers offering the device if you’re not in a supported region. Just be warned that you can’t expect official after-sales support if you take this route.