Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Having trouble with the Gallery app on your OnePlus phone? A fix is on the way
- OnePlus has finally found the root cause of a long-standing bug on its phones.
- The issue affected the Gallery app, causing constant freezing, stutters, and crashes.
- A fix should roll out in the coming days.
OnePlus has acknowledged an annoying issue with the Gallery app on its phones.
For months now, OnePlus users have been reporting freezes, stutters, and outright crashes while sharing pictures or simply scrolling through the Gallery app. Complaints about the problem date as far back as last March. Thankfully, OnePlus has found the root cause of the bug.
According to a blog post shared by the company on Tuesday, the freezing issues in the Gallery app are weirdly related to the Google Messages app. OnePlus says that a fix should be out and about in one week.
In the meantime, the smartphone maker recommends users try the following ways to solve the issue:
- Go to Google Play Store search “Messages” (And if you cannot find it, please refer to step 4)
- Click ‘Uninstall’ to uninstall all updates and return this system app to an older version.
- Ensure auto-update is disabled by pressing the three-dot menu button on the top right corner. When the app has the issue fixed, you can re-enable auto-update.
- If step 1 doesn’t work for you, you can instead go to Google Play Store, click your account > Manage apps & device > Manage.
- Find the Messages app in the list and follow steps 2 and 3.