Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
OnePlus 9 series getting new update with multitasking improvements and more
Welcome to the OnePlus 9 series update hub. Here you’ll find the latest information on updates to the OnePlus 9, OnePlus 9 Pro, and OnePlus 9R. We’ll detail the current software versions for each device and alert you if there’s a new update rolling out. OnePlus usually pushes out Oxygen OS updates to the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro, with the 9R receiving separate updates.
- Current stable version: Android 12
- When will the OnePlus 9 get Android 13? January 2023 (Estimated)
Latest OnePlus 9, 9 Pro, and 9R updates
The latest OTA brings a couple of multitasking improvements and adds some connectivity and gaming features. However, the May security patch is still not available for the phones. You can read the full changelog below.
Convenience & efficiency
- You can now open up to 3 apps in floating windows at the same time in Split-screen mode and switch between Floating window and Split screen modes
- You can now use the Clock app in Quick Return
- You can now open up to 3 phone windows on your PC
- Adds the HyperBoost end-to-end frame rate stabilizer
- Heterogenous graphics: Reduces gaming loads and power consumption (only for some games)
As always, this OTA will be incremental. It will reach a small percentage of users initially. A broader rollout should start in a few days.
To check if an update is available, head to Settings > System > System updates on your device.
Previous OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro updates
- April 18, 2022: OnePlus rolled out a new system update for the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro. The update carried Oxygen OS 12 version C.48 and went out to the flagships in India, North America, and Europe. There were no new features added with the update. However, it brought the April 2022 security patch to the phones. The changelog also mentioned system stability improvements.
- March 21, 2022: OnePlus pushed out the stable Oxygen OS 12 update to the OnePlus 9R. The update was rolled out to users who were previously running the open beta version of the software. The OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro also got the incremental OxygenOS 12 update C.47 in North America and Europe. It optimized the stability of communication, fixed issues causing the operator’s name to be displayed incorrectly, improved system stability and camera fluency, and brought the March 2022 security patch.
- March 10, 2022: OnePlus pushed out the Oxygen OS 12 C.46 update to the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro. The company noted that the build will not release in North America due to specific country-related limitations. The firmware brought a bunch of improvements. However, the major change was the addition of the February security patch.
- January 21, 2022: OnePlus rolled out update LE2125_11.C.44_1440_202201182114 (or 115) to the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro in January. This update brought plenty of fixes for performance, display issues, cameras, and more. It also included the January 2022 security patch.
- December 30, 2021: The OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro received Oxygen OS 12 C.40, which initially rolled out to global and Indian variants. The update fixed a few issues that the second Oxygen OS 12 release missed.
- December 6, 2021: After a months-long beta program, the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro started getting a stable version of Oxygen OS 12, based on Android 12. However, due to intensely negative feedback to the update’s many bugs, OnePlus pulled it. The update restarted a week later.
- November 25, 2021: Oxygen OS 220.127.116.11 rolled out to the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro. The update brought the November security patch and a few bug fixes but no significant changes.
- September 17, 2021: OnePlus is rolling out a new Oxygen OS update (18.104.22.168) to the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro. The update adds the September 2021 security patch and also brings the brand new Hasselblad XPan camera mode. There is also a slew of camera-related tweaks and other miscellaneous bug fixes.
- July 29, 2021: OnePlus is rolling out Oxygen OS 22.214.171.124 to the OnePlus 9R. The update adds the July security patch to the phone and also brings the Bitmoji AOD feature that lets users place an avatar on their always-on display screen which changes based on activity and other factors. Fixes for “known issues” are bundled in the update alongside the updated GMS package.
- July 19, 2021: OnePlus rolled out Oxygen OS 126.96.36.199 to the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro. It added one big feature for Ambient Display users — Bitmoji AOD. This lets users place an avatar on their always-on display screen which changes based on activity and other factors. The update also Fixed some “known issues” and added the July 2021 Android security patch.
- June 6, 2021: The OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro gained Oxygen OS 188.8.131.52 which brought power consumption improvements, and camera tweaks, including an HDR option for video recording on the OnePlus 9 Pro.