Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
OnePlus 9 series now finally getting last month's security patch
Welcome to the OnePlus 9 series update hub. Here you’ll find the latest information on updates to the OnePlus 9, OnePlus 9 Pro, and OnePlus 9R. We’ll detail the current software versions for each device and alert you if there’s a new update rolling out. OnePlus usually pushes out Oxygen OS updates to the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro, with the 9R receiving separate updates.
- Current stable version: Android 12
- When will the OnePlus 9 get Android 13? January 2023 (Estimated)
Latest OnePlus 9, 9 Pro, and 9R updates
June 29, 2022: OnePlus is now rolling out a new update to the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro (via XDA-Developers). It lands as Oxygen OS 12 version C.61. Notably, this update finally carries the May 2022 security patch, which the previous update lacked. This update also is coming to all variants of the devices, not just those in India — a problem we saw with the previous update.
Here’s the changelog:
- [Improved] system stability
- [Optimized] the fluency of system
- [Fixed] the issue that clearing the background worked abnormally
- [Updated] Android security patch to 2022.05
- [Fixed] the occasional issue that camera crashed abnormally
- [Fixed] the issue that photos did not display the right location information
- [Fixed] the issue that the mobile data network was unstable in some scenarios
- [Fixed] the occasional issue for call dialing
As always, this OTA will be incremental. It will reach a small percentage of users initially. A broader rollout should start in a few days.
To check if an update is available, head to Settings > System > System updates on your device.
Previous OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro updates
- May 25, 2022: The latest update for the OnePlus 9 series is Oxygen OS 12 version C.60. Unfortunately, it is only for Indian variants of the device. It also does not have the May security patch for some reason.
- April 18, 2022: OnePlus rolled out a new system update for the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro. The update carried Oxygen OS 12 version C.48 and went out to the flagships in India, North America, and Europe. There were no new features added with the update. However, it brought the April 2022 security patch to the phones. The changelog also mentioned system stability improvements.
- March 21, 2022: OnePlus pushed out the stable Oxygen OS 12 update to the OnePlus 9R. The update was rolled out to users who were previously running the open beta version of the software. The OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro also got the incremental OxygenOS 12 update C.47 in North America and Europe. It optimized the stability of communication, fixed issues causing the operator’s name to be displayed incorrectly, improved system stability and camera fluency, and brought the March 2022 security patch.
- March 10, 2022: OnePlus pushed out the Oxygen OS 12 C.46 update to the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro. The company noted that the build will not release in North America due to specific country-related limitations. The firmware brought a bunch of improvements. However, the major change was the addition of the February security patch.
- January 21, 2022: OnePlus rolled out update LE2125_11.C.44_1440_202201182114 (or 115) to the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro in January. This update brought plenty of fixes for performance, display issues, cameras, and more. It also included the January 2022 security patch.
- December 30, 2021: The OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro received Oxygen OS 12 C.40, which initially rolled out to global and Indian variants. The update fixed a few issues that the second Oxygen OS 12 release missed.
- December 6, 2021: After a months-long beta program, the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro started getting a stable version of Oxygen OS 12, based on Android 12. However, due to intensely negative feedback to the update’s many bugs, OnePlus pulled it. The update restarted a week later.