Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
NVIDIA Shield Tablet update version 2.2 brings better standby battery life and much more
NVIDIA is rolling out an update to the Wifi-only and LTE variants of its SHIELD Tablet, bringing the software to version 2.2. This update mainly has to do with performance and stability improvements, while bringing a few extra features to the tablet. The first, and most notable, is improved standby battery life and improved charging performance and compatibility, which should be a welcome enhancement to most users.
Additionally, the update brings more GRID games for free. Free titles include Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7, PixelJunk Shooter and GRID 2, among many others. Check out the full changelog below to see exactly what version 2.2 brings:
- More great streamed PC games, for free – No PC required: You can now play popular titles such as Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7, PixelJunk Shooter and GRID 2 amongst many others. New games are added every week on #SHIELDTuesday
- Standby battery life improvements: Improved battery life in standby/idle conditions, especially with WiFi turned ON
- Improved charging performance and compatibility: Broader support for high performance chargers
- Overall experience enhancements: Additional UI responsiveness and memory optimizations, Graphics corruption resolution
- Support for SHIELD Hub 4.1: Includes GameStream multi-controller support
Note: The update to version 2.2 is on NVIDIA’s end, so your SHIELD Tablet will stay at Android version 5.0.1.
NVIDIA is usually really good at pushing out updates to their tablets once they announce new software versions. But if you have yet to receive your software update and want to bypass the OTA with your rooted tablet, you can head to this XDA link to grab the update. If you don’t have a NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet but wouldn’t mind picking one up, Amazon will throw in a $30 gift card if you buy either model from them. We’re not sure how long the deal will last, but it’s definitely a good promotion to take into consideration.