Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Rollable phones are potentially the next display-tech thing we’ll see hit the mainstream but in the works might be a rollable smartwatch, too.
- Of course, patents don’t necessarily mean products, but what we see here is a circular design that seems to spread out from the middle via a pinch-to-zoom like gesture or a tap on the crown, to open up an oval shape.
- There’s also a camera if you want to awkwardly hold your wrist up to take a photo.
- But the screen extension is the big game here, with the suggestion that it adds 40% to the overall display size.
- That turns your watch into a slightly more usable screen, though the use case for a small screen to a slightly less small screen isn’t immediately obvious, though it’d help keep your smartphone in your pocket for directions or reading longer texts or so on.
- Or, I guess, adding a keyboard to the watch but again, seems a little awkward.
- My colleague Hadlee points out that among the considerations here for this design must be durability: it’d be pretty weird to add motors and a kind of equator to the middle of a watch and not have it be more fragile.
- Practicality will matter: Apple is being sued for not leaving enough room in the Apple Watch for battery swelling, which can lead to cracked glass and “injuries,” like cuts to arms from glass, as stated in a proposed class-action lawsuit.
⛓ Select US users can now send and receive a kind of cash through WhatsApp (Android Authority)
📳 Moto Edge X30 launches: Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, under-display cam, 144Hz, more (Android Authority).
Leaker claims the Galaxy S22 Ultra could just be called the S22 Note. Huh. Huh? (Android Authority).
👉 More rumors point to a OnePlus Pad coming soon, with a launch window tipped for at least one region (Android Authority).
🎮 Google Play Games is coming to Windows PCs in 2022 so that you can play Android games on Windows PCs directly from Google… which is, I don’t know, okay? (Android Authority).
🎮 The 29 biggest announcements from The Game Awards 2021: first look at the Halo TV show, Star Wars Eclipse, and more (Polygon).
📺 Best Buy pulls TCL Google TVs amid complaints of slow, buggy software (The Verge).
🥽 Meta’s Horizon Worlds opens up to adults in the US and Canada (Engadget).
🏆 Best of the year lists are emerging already: CNET’sbest tech products of 2021 includes way too many products: winners in smartphones are the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, OnePlus 9, Google Pixel 6, Google Pixel 6 Pro, Apple iPhone 13 and Mini, Apple iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max. With so many winners, who lost?? Anyway…
📦 Who’s buying and selling artfully folded ham on Facebook? (Wired).
💊 The Matrix Awakens is 2021’s must-play flex of current-gen console power
☄️ Comet Leonard, the brightest of the year, is fading and acting strange (like me!) (Space).
🤔 “What is legal now, but likely to be illegal in 1-2 years?” (r/askreddit)
Okay sometimes we’re all like, oh technology what does it ever bring us other than ruin, but behold! Drop a magnet on this map and a fake window provides live views from around the world.
- This is a cool DIY production from quiet yet deep-voiced Alex Shakespeare, who has a display hooked up to a map that lets you see live footage from places like Las Vegas and Amsterdam from set-up webcams.
- Shakespeare publishes all the code and a write-up of the hardware as well in case you want to DIY!
- Speaking of, I might have to tune in to some Puffin webcams. It’s the offseason for now as the birds head out to water to weather the winter, but I like them so much!
Tristan Rayner, Senior Editor