Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Upgrade HTCmyTouch 4G Slide to AOSP Android 4.0.3 ICS Via ICSex Custom ROM
The HTCmyTouch 4G Slide is one of the few phones from T-Mobile’s arsenal that is getting the spotlight lately with the introduction of an AOSP Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich build for the device. XDA Developer member rajzzz has recently released an enticing new brew of a custom Ice Cream Sandwich ROM called ICSex 0.2 for the HTCmyTouch 4G Slide.
Currently the ROM is still in its beta stage so expect a couple of bugs or so at this point. Since this ROM is based purely on AOSP, expect to have a “Sense-less” UI that pretty much resembles the original Ice Cream Sandwich that Google intended to be.
Speaking of “Sense-less,” the new ROM promises to give all the Ice Cream Sandwich goodness minus the bloatware and crapware that are normally present when installing stock ROM from OEM.
If you wish to try out the new AOSP Ice Cream Sandwich build, then continue reading to learn how you can install it on your HTCmyTouch 4G slide.
Notable functional features in ICSex 0.2 include:
- Physical Keyboard
- SD Card
- WP/Live WP
- Screenshot Function (Hold down power + volume down for a second or two)
- Resizable Widgets
- Google Services
The following features do not work or are still buggy:
- Major graphics bugs
- Orientation is screwed up
- SD Card not mounting (Mount in CWM or Buy Dual Mount SD from Market)
- Onscreen keyboard not working
- Trackpad wake
- Battery issues
This guide is intended specifically for the HTCmyTouch 4G Slide. It is not compatible with any other device and may cause irreversible damage. You can check your device’s model by heading to “Settings > About Phone.”
- HTC myTouch 4G Slide, rooted, S-OFF, and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup of your personal data on the phone.
- Download the ICSex 0.2 ROM file from here and save it to your PC.
- Connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded file to the root of your phones’s external microSD card.
- Disconnect your device from your PC.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot the phone into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Backup your existing ROM from within ClockworkMod Recovery. Create a Nandroid backup from Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Perform a full wipe on your phone.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”.
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition”.
- From the main menu, select “Advanced”, then select “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- After the cleaning process is through, select “Install zip from SD card.”
- Select “Choose zip from SD card”, and browse for the downloaded file that you have transferred and select it.
- Confirm the installation. The ROM will now be flashed to your phone. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- Select “Go back” then select “Reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed an AOSP Ice Cream Sandwich build on your HTCmyTouch 4G Slide via ICSex 0.2 custom ROM.