Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Everything you need to know about The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season 4
Amazon Prime Video announced the return of Emmy Award-winning The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel two years ago. Now, following the season premiere, here’s what we know about The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season four.
Below, we break down the cast, plot, and release details of the new season.
If you aren’t already an Amazon Prime Video subscriber, you can sign up by hitting the button below.
What is The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel about?
From Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel follows Midge Maisel, a Jewish housewife in 1950s Manhattan who takes up stand-up comedy when her husband leaves her for his secretary.
The comedic drama follows Midge as she climbs the ranks of the comedy scene with her manager Susie. She faces an uphill battle in the male-dominated industry, but she soon carves out a niche for her bawdry routines and immense wit.
Check out: The best Amazon original shows
Season four picks up in 1960, with Midge hoping to make a bigger splash after a career setback. After losing a plum gig opening for a major act when she spoke a little too frankly, Midge is having trouble getting booked.
Now, she’s done being an opening act for other comics and wants to take her career to the next level, despite some well-earned skepticism from Susie, who doesn’t see how her friend and client can jump from no gigs to headlining gigs overnight.
“That’s not how the business works,” Susie says, in the first teaser from Amazon.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season 4 recap
In The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season four, Midge is riled up and ready to claim her place at the top — and her right to speak her mind. That leads to some conflict, and not just with Susie. Midge risks alienating her family and loved ones. Speaking her mind is what set Midge back in the first place, after all.
Then again, the rewards could be huge if Midge pulls it off. Below are a few highlights from the current season, including the March 11 finale.
Recap: Episodes 1 and 2
- Midge is already feeling the financial strain of having been dumped by Shy Baldwin last season.
- The titular comedienne is not taking her new situation lightly, going as far as to take her anger out on a taxi with a tree branch.
- Midge goes back to living with her parents.
Recap: Episodes 3 and 4
- Susie mourns the tragic loss of her friend and roommate Jackie, who was played by Brian Tarantina before he sadly died in 2019.
- Midge’s father Abe gives a negative review to a terrible musical, causing conflict within the Jewish community.
- Midge takes a job as the emcee of a strip club but finds herself at odds with the manager, but not before she can be reacquainted with Lenny Bruce when he drops by the club.
Recap: Episodes 5 and 6
- Susie and Midge receive invitations to Shy Baldwin’s wedding, which is in just three days. At the wedding, Midge and Shy hash out what happened and mend some bridges.
- Midge helps Lenny nurse a hangover after finding him passed out drunk. She learns he has a kid of his own.
- After realizing that journalist L Roy Dunham is a woman, she and Midge discuss the challenges of their male-dominated fields.
- Mei reveals to Joel that she’s pregnant.
Finale recap: Episodes 7 and 8
- Milo Ventimiglia finally makes his (rather overhyped) guest appearance. He briefly shows up as a man Midge sleeps with, only to realize she’s now the “other woman.”
- Midge bombs at a fundraiser for John F. Kennedy.
- Moishe suffers a heart attack at the news of Mei and Joel’s unborn baby.
- Midge and Lenny Bruce sleep together, though there doesn’t seem to be much of a future there.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel review: Our rating
Featuring the same witty banter and rich character development as Amy Sherman-Palladino’s previous Gilmore Girls, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is popular for a reason.
The series tells an engaging story, with overt feminist messaging around the boys club of comedy, offering a look at history that resonates today.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season four is no exception. Midge’s journey continues to blend comedy and smart drama, with fabulous performances all around, as the series nears its end.
Where can I watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season 4?
In November, Amazon Prime Video tweeted its first update about The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, since the new season was announced two years ago. With delays due to COVID-19, the latest season was one of many productions impacted by the ongoing pandemic, but now, Amazon is ready to dive back in.
“Our marvelous girl is back. Season 4 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is coming soon,” the tweet said.
See also: The best movies on Amazon Prime
Soon after, the streamer confirmed that the new season would start on February 18, 2022. Amazon released two new episodes every Friday for four weeks. The finale of the eight-episode season streamed on March 11.
Rachel Brosnahan returns as Midge. She’s joined by Alex Bornstein who’s back as Midge’s manager Susie, along with Tony Shalhoub, Marin Hinkle, Michael Zegen, Kevin Pollak, Caroline Aaron, and Luke Kirby.
See also: The best original streaming shows
Guest stars include Kelly Bishop, Milo Ventimiglia, John Waters, and Jason Alexander.
The Marvelous Mrs Maisel season four is written, directed, and executive produced by creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino.
Will there be a Marvelous Mrs. Maisel season 5?
Ahead of the season four premiere, Amazon announced that The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel would be back fo a fifth and final season.
While season five is currently in production in New York City, a release date has not been set.
Until then, the Emmy-winning series’ fourth season is available in its entirety on Amazon Prime Video.