Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Lollipop update rolling out to the Sprint LG G3
The LG G3 was one of the first non-Nexus devices to get Android 5.0 Lollipop, though the update was largely limited to Europe and certain regions in Asia. The company told us a few weeks ago that Lollipop would make its way to the US G3 “soon,” and it looks like LG is upholding their promise. Less than a week ago, we saw the AT&T G3 get the Lollipop update, and now it’s Sprint’s turn. The update to the Sprint LG G3 is rolling out today, so be sure to check if you haven’t yet!
So, what’s new in the update? Obviously there will be a heavy dose of Material Design – a revamped settings menu, new lock screen – and much more. There will be quite a few visual enhancements after the update, but they won’t be as noticeable as a device running a “stock” version of Android, largely due to LG’s UI overlay. The G3 will now run on ART instead of Google’s older runtime, Dalvik, which will bring a good amount of performance improvements throughout the device. There are many more enhancements coming to the G3 with this update, so let’s take a look at LG’s changelog:
- Material Design for fluid animation, multicolored themes and 3D views
- More efficient battery use
- Android™ TV support
- Notifications on the lock screen and customizable options with prioritized notifications for events, reminders, messages and calls
- Updated Lock Screen features allow users to quickly access notifications and active apps
- Enhanced low vision and color blind capabilities for added Accessibility
- Integrated location menu enables users to easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks, while simultaneously checking the battery usage of apps running location service capabilities
- Enhanced Messaging with Google Hangouts™ support for SMS and MMS and a larger assortment of updated Emoji icons
- Upgraded Google Mobile Service™ apps automatically back up photos and video and can open, view, rename and share Google Docs and files
If you’re a Sprint user and haven’t gotten the update to your G3 yet, head to the Settings menu, then choose System Updates>Update LG Software>Check Now. Have you gotten the update on your G3? How are you liking it?