Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Here's everything new in LineageOS since September
- LineageOS 15.1 based on Android 8.1 Oreo could be the next official release
- October and November security updates integrated into latest builds, with KRACK Wi-Fi patch
- Xperia Z5 Compact support for Lineage 14.1 added; LG G3 (Verizon), LG G4 and HTC One M9 support removed
LineageOS, the ROM that rose from CyanogenMod’s ashes at the end of last year, saw regular updates in the first few months after its release — new features and supported devices appeared thick and fast, but things have turned rather quiet lately.
Following its last update post the middle of September, Lineage has now outlined what it has been working on since. On the official LineageOS blog (via Android Police), LineageOS’ Harry Youd detailed the recent changes, providing a whole bunch of information — check out the breakdown below.
Beginning with Android Oreo, this is being integrated into the ROM with LineageOS 15.0. Youd suggested that, now Android 8.1 is available for developers, the team may skip the Lineage 15.0 rollout and push for a larger Lineage 15.1 update where the previous 15.0 work would be merged. Youd also noted that, while some early 15.0 builds are out there in the wild, those are “in no way representative of a final product.”
When exactly LineageOS 15.1 would be made available wasn’t stated.
The patch notes over in the blog post are fairly lengthy, so below we’ve got a rundown of the more significant ones:
- KRACK Wi-Fi vulnerability patched in LineageOS 14.1 and 13.0
- October security patches integrated with LineageOS 14.1 and 13.0
- November security patches integrated with LineageOS 14.1 and 13.0
- Making emergency calls without a SIM card now possible (in supported regions)
- Touchscreen gesture options added for lowering and raising the media volume
- Added support for extended length NFC (needs to be enabled per-device, if supported)
- A LiveDisplay tile has been added
- Recorder app has been redesigned
- Calendar and Gallery improvements
- Battery icon improvements
- No longer possible to bypass the lock screen by changing to a profile without a lock screen from the quick settings
Additionally, the LineageOS updater itself has been upgraded to support device unifications. This means that when a build gets merged with another, the user will receive the updates without needing to manually flash the new build.
Added 14.1 devices
- BQ Aquaris X5 Plus – gohan
- BQ Aquaris U Plus – tenshi
- Sony Xperia Z5 Compact – suzuran
- Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet LTE – karin
- Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet WiFi – karin_windy
- LG K10 – m216
- Fairphone 2 – FP2
Changes to 14.1 devices
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Sprint SM-G900P (kltespr) has been merged into Samsung Galaxy S5 G900I/P (kltedv)
Removed 14.1 devices
- LG G3 (Verizon) – vs985
- Ark Benefit A3 – peach
- Wingtech Redmi 2 – wt88047
- Motorola Moto Z Play – addison
- Lenovo Vibe K5 / K5 Plus – A6020
- LG G4 – h815, h811
- HTC One M9 – himaul, himawl
- Samsung Galaxy S III (LTE / International) – i9305
Removed 13.0 devices
- Motorola Moto X – ghost
Give us your thoughts on the recent LineageOS updates in the comments.