Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: You'd buy the LG Wing if it was a bit cheaper
There’s no denying that the LG Wing is a risky buy. Even in the world of foldable phones and clip-on screens, LG’s latest device is unlike any we’ve seen before. The practicality of its design is debatable, but it’ll likely appeal to first-adopters, collectors, and those who want something a little different.
One thing that may hold the Wing back is its price. At $999, you’re paying for the novelty as much as the phone’s smarts. And when put up against the OnePlus 8 Pro and Galaxy S20 Plus, the price perhaps doesn’t quite justify its party tricks.
In a recent poll, we asked readers if they felt this was indeed the case. Would they purchase the Wing if LG priced it a touch lower? Here’s what you told us.
Would you buy the LG Wing if it were more affordable?
It’s true that any device would be more appealing at a lower price point, but some readers want the LG Wing’s price slashed by half.
A 42.6% portion of voters would purchase the Wing if it cost $500 instead of $999. These readers will be glad to know LG devices depreciate substantially over time, but it’s not yet apparent if this trend will affect its latest experimental phones.
Some readers didn’t ask for much of a price cut. 26.4% of readers say they’d purchase the Wing if it retailed for $700. This drop would bring it closer to the LG Velvet‘s $599 price tag. But at this price, it’s the same price as the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE and Pixel 5. These two devices would arguably be smarter investments if you’re willing to overlook their shortcomings.
Finally, 31% wouldn’t buy the LG Wing even if it were cheaper. It’s definitely a divisive form factor!
Here’s what you had to say
- EspHack: There are no bad products, just bad prices.
- Justbob: I’m amazed at all of the negative comments. It clearly doesn’t appeal to everyone. But the same glass slabs in a spec race has gotten boring. Hopefully LG continues to refine this idea, and hopefully it drives further innovation from LG and others.
- Isaac YouTube: I’m gonna end up buying it on eBay eventually when it’s wicked cheap and have a cool phone for a fraction of the retail price
- Dan Pan: I’d buy the Wing if it were available in Australia. Don’t need a price drop. There should be options to say you’re happy with the price or that you can’t buy it locally on the poll!
- AnySmarterIdRunLinux: I’d buy the Wing if it didn’t rotate, had one ~6″ screen, a big battery (5000+ maH), and a headphone jack. In fact, I’ll buy the next phone that meets those specs.
- meh…: Give us a hardware keyboard underneath, and I’m in.
- KRB: I applaud LG for trying to be original, but I think they need to work on their software first. I’ve had LG phones and have had to help family members who have had LG phones, LG almost trips over themselves with their convoluted software compare to how straight forward it is on my Moto.
That’s it for our LG Wing price poll! Thanks to everyone who voted and commented. If you have any additional thoughts on the swiveling phone, its ideal price, or the results of this poll, drop them down below.