Training is a fairly ambiguous term in Pokemon Go. Fans of the franchise equate training to battling and gaining experience to make Pokemon stronger. However, in Pokemon Go, only player characters gain experience, and Pokemon are powered up using Stardust. Since the term is so ambiguous, we’ll briefly cover how to train in Pokemon Go and how to train Pokemon in this tutorial.
How to train in Pokemon Go
Previously, a big part of the game was training in gyms spread throughout the world. You needed to help your team take control of a Gym, then battle to increase its Prestige level. Training a Gym and increasing its Prestige level made it more difficult for other teams to take, and gained you some valuable experience.
This system of training in Pokemon Go has long since been removed, but there are a number of other ways to gain experience and level up your player character. As you gain levels, you’ll be able to train your Pokemon to be even stronger! Here’s how to gain experience in Pokemon Go:
- Battle against other players or AI trainer opponents. Read more about how battling works in Pokemon Go.
- Send gifts to other players. When you reach certain milestones, you will receive a huge exp boost.
- Catch Pokemon. Your first catch of the day will net you 500 exp, or 2000 exp on a 7-day streak.
- Use finesse when catching Pokemon. Curve balls, catching on the first throw, and well placed throws will earn bonus exp.
- Participate in Raids. Defeating a raid boss gives a massive amount of exp — up to 10,000 for legendary raid bosses.
- Spin Pokestops and Gyms. Spinning Pokestops and Gyms gives a small amount of exp, with bonuses for streaks.
- Hatch eggs. Hatching eggs give small exp amounts depending on the distance required to hatch it.
- Use Lucky Eggs wisely. If you know you are about to hit a friendship milestone or complete a Raid, use a Lucky Egg first. It will double the amount of exp you earn for 30 minutes.
These are all great ways to earn yourself some XP. Ultimately though, you’ll need to do a fair amount of playing in order to reach the level cap of 40. Get out there and start catching more Pokemon!
How to train Pokemon in Pokemon Go
Training Pokemon isn’t nearly as fun as it is in the canon Pokemon games. They don’t gain exp by battling so you won’t be doing it that way. Instead, you have to use Stardust and Pokemon Candies.
Whenever you catch Pokemon, you’re receive some Stardust. Typically this is around 100 Stardust per capture. You’ll also get a big bonus amount for each 7-day streak. Stardust is also rewarded for level ups and from some Pokestop and Gym spins.
Candies are gained by catching that specific type of Pokemon. You can also set them as your buddy and gain candies by walking around outside.
Here’s how you train Pokemon in Pokemon Go:
- Find the Pokemon you want to level up in your inventory.
- Click the “Power Up” button. Some of your Stardust will be used and your Pokemon will become stronger.
- Repeat this process until your Pokemon are at max level. You can also evolve Pokemon to make them stronger.
It’s extraordinarily simple and we wish that Niantic had included some other ways to level up your Pokemon. Nevertheless, this is the only method to train your Pokemon for now.
Feel free to leave a comment if there are any tips or tricks that we may have missed! Also, click here for the latest Pokemon Go news!