Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to post anonymously in Facebook groups
On the Facebook group in question, tap on Anonymous post to start a new post, if you are on desktop, tap Create anonymous post. On mobile, tap Anonymous post and confirm by selecting Got it.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
What is posting anonymously in Facebook groups?
Normal group users won’t be able to see your identity when you post anonymously in groups. Your post will appear to be posted by ‘Group member’ in private groups or ‘Group participant’ in public groups, and your profile picture will be replaced by a secret agent icon. Any replies you make to your own post will appear the same way.
The process is a little different depending on whether you’re posting from your web browser or the mobile app. We’ll go through both methods.
How to post anonymously on desktop
Once you are on Facebook, follow these steps:
- Click on Groups icon on your homepage.
- Navigate to a group that you want to post from the menu of the Groups you’ve joined section. (In this section, I have selected a group called Inforoom).
- In a group, click on Anonymous Post.
- A explanation about anoymous post will pop up. After that, click on Create anonymous post.
How to post anonymously on mobile phone
The process on the Facebook mobile app is essentially the same as on desktop, but the route is a little different.
- On your Facebook homepage, go to the hamburger icon (≡) that will navigate you to your profile.
- Tap on Groups on the profile page.
- In Groups, select Your Groups section to see all the groups that you have joined.
- After that, a list of groups will appear, you can tap on the group that you want to post.
- Tap on Anonymous post in the group under Write Something… section
- A brief explanation about posting anonymously in a group will pop up; after reading, tap Got it.
How to enable anonymous posts in a Facebook group
If you have your own Facebook group, you can choose whether to allow anonymous posting in it or not. It is enabled by default when you create a group, with the caveat that, as the administrator, you will be required to review any anonymous post a participant attempts to make. We’ll run you through how to enable or disable anonymous posts.
- In your group, tap Manage button.
- Scroll down to Settiings and tap on Group settings.
- In Group settings, select Anonymous posting on Manage Discussion section.
- Switch on the toggle People can submit anonymous posts in this group and then tap Save.
If you wish to disable it, follow the same steps and turn off the toggle switch. The process is very similar on desktop, but the group settings can be found on the side menu on the left side of the group homepage.
Yes, with the same caveat that admins, moderators, and Facebook will be able to see your name and profile picture.
It might be that posting anonymously is disabled in the group that you’re in or that the group admin has rejected your anonymous post.
Your identity will be hidden from other group members but not from the group admins and moderators or Facebook.
Some people feel more comfortable contributing without revealing their identity. The ability of admins and moderators to see their identity is in place to avoid this feature being abused.