Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Here's how to install Kali NetHunter on any Android device
Kali NetHunter is a popular open source Android ROM penetration testing platform. The developers behind the ROM made it so it would work on Google’s older Nexus smartphones, along with older OnePlus phones and some older Samsung Galaxy phones.
Read more: Is Android really just Linux?
However, some enterprising users have found a way to install Kali NetHunter on most Android devices. Keep in mind this method is very unofficial so you will be installing this program on your phone at your own risk.
Prepare your phone ahead of time
Before you download and install this ROM on your Android device, it has to be rooted with a program like SuperSu. You also have to have the BusyBox app installed from the Google Play Store. You should also have lots of free storage on your Android device available. Finally, custom ROMs like CM12. CM12.1, and CM13 are a good thing to have ready to go as well, but are not absolutely required.
How to install Kali NetHunter
Here’s what you need to do to install this ROM on your Android smartphone or tablet:
- Once your phone is prepared, go to the Offensive Security website and download the Kali NetHunter ROM version that corresponds to your Android version on your device.
- Once that’s done, you should extract the Zip file. Then go to /data/app and install the apps present in that folder one by one.
- Then open up your preferred root explorer app, and go to /data/data/com.offsec.nethunter/files/scripts.
- Copy all the files and paste into /system/bin (Note: If you don’t see the folder or content in files/scripts, open NetHunter app and then close it and check again)
- Open the Nethunter App and Go to the Kali Chroot Manager and install the “Minimal Chroot”. You can also select “Full Chroot” but this is not recommended.
- Open Terminal Emulator or nh-terminal and choose “KALI”. This will open up Kali shell. You may be prompted to allow root permission.
- Run the following commands in the terminal one by one: apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, apt-get install kali-linux-nethunter
Setup Metasploit In Kali NetHunter
If you really want to use Kali NetHunter to its fullest, you will also need to install the Metasploit testing tool as well. In order to do this, either run the command msfdb init, or go into the Kali Services Tab on the main Nethunter App and set it to “Start at boot”. Then to actually run Metasploit, type in the command msfconsole or open any tool which uses Metasploit.
Try the GUI tools in Kali NetHunter
While you can now use this on your rooted Android device, you may want to use its GUI tools as well. If that’s the case, then you need to also install and enable a VNC viewer as well.
- First, open Terminal and execute the command apt-get install tightvncserver in Kali Terminal
- Then, to run VNC Server type in the command vncserver :1 -geometry 1280×720 -depth 16
You should then be able to install and open any VNC Viewer from the Google Play Store. To connect it to the Kali NetHunter GUI set it up with the following details:
- Alias: Kali Linux
- Password: The password you set before
- Address: 127.0.0.1 or your Private IP
- Port: 5901 (Depends on display i.e., for display 2, Port will be 5902 and so on)
- Username: root
That’s how you can install this popular ROM on your Android phone or tablet.