Live streaming on Facebook was first introduced in 2015 and has been a hit ever since. It’s used by companies to promote their products and services, as well as everyday people who want to share the moment with friends and family. Live streams are uncut and raw, which is what makes them genuine and so popular. It gives viewers a chance to truly connect with the streamer, allowing them to post their reactions in real-time, as well as ask questions.
In this step-by-step guide, we’ll show you how to go live on Facebook using your Android device as well as your PC. The process is quick and easy no matter which platform you use. Let’s dive in.
How to go live on Facebook with an Android device
To go live on Facebook with your Android device, launch the app and tap the “What’s on your mind?” section at the top, just like you would when creating a new post. After that, select the “Go Live” option from the list below.
Now it’s time to set things up. Start off by choosing which camera you’ll use for the live stream — front or back. You can switch between the two via the camera button at the top of the screen. Then give your live stream a description and add your location if you want your viewers to know exactly where you are. You can also add an emoji to the mix to let the people know how you’re feeling.
The next step is to invite your Facebook friends to join the live stream. Tap the “Bring a Friend” option at the bottom of the screen and select a few friends from the list who will be notified once you go live. Once that’s done, the next step is to add some flair to the video with things like filters, frames, and text. Just tap the magic wand icon next to the blue “Start Live Video” button and play around with the options that pop up.
The last step before going live is to head into “Live Settings” and selecting who exactly can view your live stream (anyone, friends, specific friends…). You can access these settings by taping the “To: …” section in the upper-left part of the screen. Once you’re done, you can finally go live on Facebook by tapping the “Start Live Video” button.
Step-by-step instructions on how to go live on Facebook on Android:
- Open the Facebook app on your Android device.
- Tap the “What’s on your mind” section at the top.
- Tap the “Go Live” option.
- Select the camera to use for the live stream — switch between the front and rear one with the camera icon at the top of the screen.
- Give your live stream a title and add a location if you want. You can throw in an emoji as well.
- Invite your Facebook friends to join the live stream by taping the “Bring a Friend” option. The friends selected will get notified once you go live.
- Add some flair to the video with filters, frames, and text by taping the magic wand icon next to the “Start Live Video” button.
- Select exactly who can view your live stream (anyone, friends, specific friends…) by taping the “To: …” section in the upper-left part of the screen.
- Tap the “Start Live Video” button to start live streaming.
You can stream live for a maximum of four hours. Press the “Finish” button to stop streaming, after which you can share the recording on your timeline or delete it.
How to go live on Facebook with a PC
Going live on Facebook with your computer is less popular than with a smartphone, just because you don’t have your PC on you at all times. Also, it’s a lot bigger and heavier, so it’s not as great turning it around if you want to show off your surroundings.
To get started, visit Facebook on your computer, sign in, and click the icon with three horizontal dots that’s in the “Create Post” section at the top of the page. A pop-up window will show up (as shown in the image above), after which you have to click the “Live Video” option.
The next step is to set up a few things before you go live. Most of the settings are straightforward and the same as those we covered with the Android version above, so I’m not going to go over every detail here. You just have to add a title to the live stream, decide who can view it, and add a location, among other things. But you cannot customize the stream with filters and text like you can on an Android device.
Step-by-step instructions on how to go live on Facebook:
- Click the icon with three horizontal dots that’s in the “Create Post” section at the top of the page.
- Click the “Live Video” option.
- Add in all the details (description, location…).
- Click the “Go Live” button in the bottom-right corner to start live streaming.
Read next: How to unblock someone on Facebook
There you have it — that’s how you can go live on Facebook using your Android device or PC. Have you tried it yet? Let us know in the comments!