Running a Facebook poll for your friends and followers is a great way to get help making decisions, spot-check opinions, and creating some debate. We run polls all the time here on Android Authority and on Facebook, and want to share how it’s done. There are three major different ways, so let’s take a look!
How to create a Facebook poll
If you want to poll your pals, it’s not possible to do the way you might expect. You can’t do it via your timeline or News Feed.
That makes the only possibility to post a Facebook poll on a personal page, at the moment, is via a Facebook Story. You can ask questions, customize the suggested answers, and then unleash the people to vote for their favorite option, but only in a Facebook Story.
This means you can only do it via the Facebook app on Android and iOS. It takes about five steps:
- Open the Facebook app and go to your profile page.
- Click Add to Story.
- Swipe across at the bottom and find the poll button, which looks like a column bar graph.
- You’ll be given a prompt: “Ask a question…” with Yes / No answers. Tap on each to customize.
- Once you’re happy, hit Done.
While you don’t need a photo or video to go with your poll, if you don’t select one, you’ll get a colorful background, like the above.
Once the story with the poll is live, you’ll see your friends interact with it, with instant results available to everyone who votes, and you of course.
How to create a group Facebook poll
If you’re wondering how to create a Facebook poll in a group, that is possible from your group News Feed. You can also do it from a desktop computer and on the Facebook mobile app for Android or iOS.
It takes about four steps to create a Facebook poll in a group using a browser:
- Open Facebook.com and go to your Groups.
- Then select a group, and get started sharing something by creating a post.
- When you click on the text box to get started, you should see a section that says “Add to your post”. Click on the 3-dot icon next to it.
- Select Poll (📊).
- Write your questions and possible answers.
- Then make a final decision before posting: Allow anyone to add options or Allow people to choose multiple options. It all depends on what feedback you’re looking for. Once you’re happy, hit post.
Your poll will be live and everyone will be able to see the results, so enjoy!