With over 58 million subscribers in the U.S. alone, Netflix is the most popular premium video streaming service by far. It’s also the only services that has three different pricing plans for streaming, and they are designed to deal with more than one person streaming on the same account at the same time, along with the resolution of their devices, particularly big-screen televisions. So should you know how to change your Netflix plan?
If you bought a new 4K TV, or if you have family members who want to watch Stranger Things on their phone at the same time you watch Bodyguard on Netflix, you might want to consider signing up for one of its higher-priced streaming plans. On the other hand, if you are mad at Netflix for its upcoming price increases for all of its plans, you might be in the mood to switch to a cheaper subscription (assuming you don’t want to cancel Netflix entirely).
The three Netflix streaming plans
Here’s a look at all three of the streaming plans available currently from Netflix. The prices shown are the ones that are now available for new subscribers; current Netflix users will be hit with these same prices sometime later in 2019.
- Netflix basic plan ($8.99 a month) – This very basic plan is just for the individual Netflix user. It supports just one concurrent stream at a time, and the video resolution is cut down to just 480p.
- Netflix standard plan ($12.99 a month) – If you have a wife or kids, and/or you don’t have the newer 4K TVs at home, the standard Netflix plan is for you. It allows for up to two concurrent streams on the same account at the same time, and the video resolution goes up to 1080p.
- Netflix premium plan ($15.99 a month) – If you just bought that great new 65-inch or 70-inch 4K TV, and want to watch the selection of Netflix shows and movies that support 4K video, you can sign up for the premium plan. It also boosts the concurrent stream limit to four streams at the same time on the same account.
How to change your Netflix plan
If you want to spend more money on higher video resolutions or more concurrent streams with your Netflix subscription, or if you want to go the other way and get a cheaper plan to save money, here’s how to change your Netflix plan. The procedure is almost exactly the same if you change your Netflix plan via your Android or iOS smartphone app or on your PC web browser.
- On your smartphone Netflix app, tap on the “More” menu on the bottom right side of the screen. On your PC web browser, just have the cursor hover on your account profile.
- In both cases, tap or click on on the “Account” section.
- You will be taken to a web page where you will see a selection called “Plan Details” with your current plan shown, and a “Change plan” option. Tap or click on it.
- You will then see all three plans that are available. Just tap or click on which plan you want to use, and then tap or click on the “Continue” blue box below.
- You will then see a final screen showing the Netflix plan you currently have, and the one you are switching to. Tap or click on the ‘Confirm Change” blue box to complete the process.
Keep in mind that your Netflix plan won’t actually change until the beginning of your next monthly billing cycle.
That’s how you can change your Netflix plan. Will you be making any changes to your plan anytime soon?