Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Latest Google Play system update makes file sharing easier between your devices
- Google Play system update for May 2022 adds a new self share option to Nearby Share.
- It also redesigns the Google Help app.
Google has released the changelog for its May 2022 system update, and it adds a much-awaited feature to Nearby Share.
Google’s system updates target the Android operating system, Google Play Store, and Google Play Services. They affect all things Android, including phones, tablets, Android TV devices, wearables, and more. Each month, the company shares detailed notes about the changes it’s making with its system update, but usually, the changelog reads pretty much the same. This month is different, though.
With the added functionality, you will be able to seamlessly share files between devices logged onto the same Google account. That means you’ll no longer need to approve each and every file you transfer between your own devices. It’s a minor tweak, but a convenient one at that.
Elsewhere, the new Google Play system update also brings a redesign to the Google Help app. Google hasn’t detailed the changes, but the app may now be more in line with the company’s Material You design theme that it introduced with the Pixel 6.
You can read the rest of the changelog for the update below. To get the new features, you’ll have to upgrade to Google Play services v22.15 and Google Play Store v30.3. You can head to the Google Play Store to update Play Services.
Google Play system update May 2022
- [Auto, Phone, Tablet, TV, Wear OS] Bug fixes for account management and system management & diagnostics related services.
- [Phone, Tablet] Migration of the existing device setup onboarding flow for supervised work accounts to a web-based experience.
- [Auto, Phone, TV] Nearby Share now allows users to share content more seamlessly between their devices logged into the same account.
Google Play Store
- Improvements to the Play-as-you-download feature to let gamers start playing mobile games while the app download continues to reduce waiting times.
- New Features to help you discover the Apps & Games you love.
- Optimizations allowing faster and more reliable download and installation.
- New features to the Play Pass and Play Points programs.
- Enhancements to Google Play Billing.
- Continuous improvements to Play Protect to keep your device safe.
- Various performance optimizations, bug fixes and improvements to security, stability and accessibility.
- [Auto, Phone, Tablet, TV, Wear OS] Design improvements to Google Help app.
- Updates to system management services that improve stability & performance.
- New developer features for Google and third-party app developers to support ads, location services and utilities-related developer services in their apps.