Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Google Maps adds Local Guides feature to bring you the top reviews in your area
An handy new update to Google Maps is rolling out now in the Play Store. The version 9.4 update brings a new ‘Local Guides’ feature, which aims to give you expert opinions on the area. Local Guides is a community, similar to what we’ve seen on Yelp, that gives local reviewers more benefits the more reviews they write.
For everyone interested in signing up, it’s quite easy. Head to the link below, click the Join Now button and enter in some personal information. Once you surpass 50 reviews you’ll receive a Local Guide badge, signifying your prominence in the community. The rewards Google is giving out for top reviewers aren’t particularly interesting, but there are quite a few that can be earned. Check out the list of rewards below:
- Access our monthly newsletter
- Stay up to date on the latest program benefits, features, and news
- In select countries, invites to members-only contests
- Join Hangouts with tastemakers, connoisseurs, and Googlers worldwide
- Submit your own Local Guides meetups for promotion
- Eligible to test new Google products and features before public release
- Get highlighted in the Google Maps app with a Local Guides badge
- Join our private Google+ community
- Apply to moderate Local Guides Google+ Communities
- In select cities, invites to exclusive events
- Eligible to be featured on our official Google+, Facebook, Twitter, and more
- Annual thank you gift for consistent, high-quality contributions to Google Maps
If you’re interested in becoming a Local Guide, head to this page to sign up. For those of you who would like to start checking up on reviews in your area, the Google Maps update should be rolling out to Google Play right now.