Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
New Google Fi customers can get a free month of service
- To celebrate the new name change and device compatibility updates, Google Fi is offering new customers a free month of service.
- You must be a new customer, bring your own device, and port in an existing number to get the credit.
- You must sign up for new service before December 16 and activate your phone before December 31.
If you always wanted to try out Google’s Project Fi wireless service but didn’t want to buy one of the few compatible phones, you’re in luck: along with a new name change to Google Fi, the service now supports dozens of new devices (albeit with some significant limitations).
If that isn’t enough to convince you, Google Fi is running a new promotion which gets you a free month of service. As usual, there are some limitations to the deal, but if you were thinking of joining anyway this promotion will make you happy.
To be eligible for the free month of Google Fi, you need to meet three criteria:
- You must be a new Google Fi customer (sorry existing subscribers, you’re out of luck).
- You must bring your own device to the service that you didn’t buy from Google Fi.
- You must port in an existing phone number from another wireless provider.
If you meet those eligibility requirements, you can go ahead and sign up for service. About three days after you activate, you will receive a month’s worth of free service via a bill credit.
Unfortunately, there’s quite an extensive list of caveats for this deal. You should read over the terms of the promotion here, but we’ve collected the gist of the caveats below:
- You must sign up for Google Fi between 11/29/18 12:00 AM PT through 12/16/18 11:59 PM PT.
- You must activate your device/port-in your number before 12/31/18 11:59 PM PT.
- The service credits cannot cover international calling, regular speed data after 15 GB per month, device financing, device protection, group plan member costs, or activity Google Fi deems excessive, abusive or fraudulent.
- The number you port in must be currently active and have been active with the previous carrier since 8/29/18 12:00 AM PT.
- Re-opened Google Fi/Project Fi accounts do not qualify as new accounts.
- Limit one free month per person.
- Offer available only for U.S. residents aged 18 and older.