Update: it’s official. The Note Edge will be available in Canada from February 18, in Charcoal Black. The device will go on pre-order from today. See press release below.
For some parts of the world, the Galaxy Note Edge is already “been there, done that” as consumers wait for the next big thing. For others however, the chance to buy one domestically has been little more than a test of patience as to if or when, Samsung opts to release it in their country. Canada is one such Edge late-bloomer, although to be fair, it was already known the device wasn’t going to reach the upper part of North America until 2015.
Both Bell and Rogers will be carrying the Edge, and Best Buy Canada already has a product page up for the device. Unfortunately no release date is mentioned, instead just a mysterious “coming soon.” Still, given that the gears for launch are starting to spin, it’s only a matter of (hopefully minimal) time before the curiously curved phablet is primed for purchase.
Samsung’s Galaxy Note Edge attracted a great deal of attention when it was unveiled last last year, offering what was essentially a Galaxy Note 4 but with a unique curved edge display. Said feature, in addition to looking like nothing else around, adds quite a significant amount of functionality to the device due to the software tweaks Samsung has made to TouchWiz accommodating the screen. For all those who missed it, check out our review here, and follow-up impressions.[press]
Samsung Stays Ahead of the Curve with the GALAXY Note Edge
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Jan. 27, 2015
Samsung launches smartphone that offers a unique mobile design with multitasking capabilities
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Jan. 27, 2015 /CNW/ – Samsung Canada, one of the leading suppliers of smartphones to Canadians, today announced the availability of an innovative twist to its iconic GALAXY Note series, the GALAXY Note Edge. Featuring all of the things consumers love about the Note series including a stunning Quad HD Super AMOLED® display and S Pen, the Note Edge introduces a continuous curved screen that runs along the right side of the device. This beautiful new curved Edge Screen delivers access to email, Internet, apps, notifications, news and more — without interrupting the content on the main screen. Thanks to this revolution in display technology, Samsung continues to give Canadians the ability to increase their mobile productivity by giving them more screen for interruption-free notifications.
“The GALAXY Note Edge is one of our most innovative and unique smartphone designs to date, which once again demonstrates that we are listening and responding to our consumers,” said Paul Brannen, Executive Vice President, Mobile Solutions, Samsung Canada. “The Edge Screen helps busy Canadians get more done on-the-go with incoming calls, texts, emails and alerts appearing neatly contained in the Edge panel without interrupting your main screen experience.”
Get the Edge:
- An Uninterrupted Smartphone Experience: The GALAXY Note Edge provides more freedom and a continuous viewing experience with its one-of-a-kind bended Edge Screen. Plus, Table Top Mode turns your Edge Screen into a night clock, keeping you connected without draining your battery.
- More Screen, More Content: Thanks to the GALAXY Note Edge’s curved screen, content viewed on the 5.6-inch main screen is kept free from disruption, simplifying how you interact with your smartphone and putting more control back in your hands. Watch a movie, browse the Internet or snap a picture with ease using controls on the curved Edge Screen.
- Epic Selfies for Unforgettable Moments: In addition to its 16MP rear-facing camera, the GALAXY Note Edge features an impressive 3.7MP front-facing camera with an f1.9 lens that offers a 90-degree shooting angle and up to a 120-degree wide angle. Meaning users can capture even more friends and fun in the frame.
- Power Up Fast and Keep Going Longer: Just like the Note 4, when it’s time to power up, the GALAXY Note Edge’s Adaptive Fast Charging recharges up to 50 per cent of your battery in about 30 minutes. Use Ultra Power Saving Mode to maximize battery life and continue to receive calls and texts for longer on only 10 per cent of a charge¹.
- Get more done with the S Pen: With an enhanced S Pen featuring 2,048 touch pressure points, writing on the GALAXY Note Edge feels more natural and offers a much more authentic pen experience that flawlessly emulates writing on paper.
- The First CAT6 LTE Advance Mobile Device in Canada: The GALAXY Note Edge delivers a new level of mobile freedom by capitalizing on even faster LTE speeds, becoming the first CAT6 smartphone to hit the Canadian market.
- A Multitasker’s Dream: The GALAXY Note Edge takes all the multitasking power that is familiar on the Note series one step further. The Edge Screen frees up more space to interact with your favourite applications and delivers an unrivalled productivity experience. It is equipped with Multi-Window where users can choose how they want to view their applications with full, split or pop-up screens, and easily change the size and positioning of apps with one intuitive swipe.
- Your Favourite Content, Brought to Life: Samsung’s revolutionary Quad HD Super AMOLED display reproduces clear, vivid images with deep contrast, great viewing angles and response times as fast as a millionth of a second. With its bold 5.6-inch screen, your favourite HD content appears lifelike and looks amazing.
The GALAXY Note Edge will launch to Canadian consumers through an interactive campaign that brings the key device features to life. Working with prominent YouTube personalities, a series of videos will be released that show how to express creativity in fun new ways and highlight what’s possible using the S Pen and Edge Screen.
Pre-orders have begun for the Samsung GALAXY Note Edge, which will be available in Charcoal Black with select carriers on February 18, 2015. Please contact your carriers for more details.[/press]