Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Fortnite adds in-game gifting option for limited time
- In the latest Fortnite update, you will be able to buy in-game items and send them as gifts to other players.
- There are a few limitations, but buying and sending gifts seems to be pretty straightforward.
- The gifting option comes with the v6.31 update, and will only last for a week.
The holiday season is just about to get into full swing, and Fortnite gamers are going to be able to get in on all the fun with the next software update for the battle royale game.
With software patch v6.31 for Fortnite, gamers will be able to send in-game items to their Fortnite friends. If you have a friend who really wants a particular item, you can buy it for them and send it their way. You can even add a personalized message, just like if you were sending them flowers or one of those delightful Edible Arrangements.
However, this Fortnite gifting feature is not going to be around forever. In fact, it will only last for a week after the v6.31 patch rolls out. In other words, if you want to buy your friends a fun gift, you’d better get to it as soon as you get the latest update.
The process of gifting items is almost identical to buying items for yourself. To start, fire up Fortnite and head into the Shop. Find an item you want to send and you’ll see two options: “Purchase Items” and “Buy As A Gift.” Tap the “Gift” option and then select who from your friend list you’d like to send it to. Finally, add your custom message and send it off!
Your friend will receive the item(s) and your message as a gift box the next time they log on.
In addition to this gifting service only lasting for a week, there are a few other limitations to item gifting:
- You can not send or receive gifts using an iOS device, as Apple’s TOS prohibits the practice.
- You need to have multi-factor authentication enabled to send a gift. Click here for more info.
- The person you send a gift to must have been your friend for at least 48 hours.
- You can send up to three gifts in any 24-hour period.
- Gift purchases are non-refundable.
- The only items available to gift are those currently active in the Shop.
If for some reason you don’t want any gifts, you can turn off gifting in your Account Settings.
Epic Games is rolling out the v6.31 patch now, and you can click here to see the changelog for the update.