Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
You told us: Only half of you have seen a foldable phone in the wild before
Foldable phones have been around since 2019, but they still account for a relatively small portion of the hundreds of millions of smartphones sold each year. This is primarily due to the price, although foldables also have some drawbacks compared to traditional phones.
Still, we wanted to know whether you’ve actually seen a foldable phone in the wild before. Here’s how you answered that question.
Have you seen a foldable phone in the wild before?
Just over 1,900 votes were counted as of writing, and it was a close race. The winner? Well, it turned out that 51.37% of polled readers said they had indeed seen a foldable phone in the wild before. Samsung’s foldables are seen most often, according to the comments, although this is no surprise. After all, the likes of OPPO, HONOR, Xiaomi, and vivo have only launched their foldables in China.
Meanwhile, 48.63% of respondents said they haven’t seen a foldable phone in the wild before. We’re guessing that the price of foldables is why many people haven’t seen them, as most consumers simply can’t afford them. The cheapest foldable on the market is the $999 Galaxy Z Flip 3, while the Galaxy Z Fold 3 retails for $1,800.
In any event, the global foldable phone market grew almost 150% year-on-year in 2021 according to Canalys. So it stands to reason that your chances of seeing a foldable phone will indeed increase.
- mattc: I see the Samsung z flip occasionally. I’ve never seen a folding tablet sized phone
- roaduardo: No but I’m sure when Apple releases one I’ll see heaps of em.
- Eoaoos: Mom’s got a Z Flip 3. I got an S22 Ultra 1TB Snapdragon.
- Jim Peterson: My brother-in-law has the Fold 3. It’s a neat product, but probably not for my use case.
- Tennisfreak: My daughters coach as the Fold 3. Another friend of mine has the Flip 3. They are pretty freaking cool and both people love their phones.
- smileyhead: Yes, once, on the tram
- KRB: Yes, a person who works at my place of business has one of the folding flip phones. I’m not terribly impressed as other than the folding it’s like any other phone.