Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
You told us: You're divided on the value of face unlock on your phone
Face unlock is a fixture on many smartphones today, usually appearing as a camera-based solution but with a few phones also offering 3D face unlock with dedicated hardware.
We asked you earlier this week whether you value face unlock on your smartphone, and the results are now in. Here’s how you voted in this poll.
Do you value face unlock on your phone?
More than 4,200 votes were counted as of writing, and it turns out that the most popular option was “No, I don’t care about it.” Just over 40% of respondents voted for this option, with some reader comments suggesting that fingerprint unlock was the preferred option instead.
Meanwhile, almost 35% of polled readers said they value any form of face unlock on their phone. Camera-based face unlock can be easily spoofed, but it’s clear that these readers are willing to sacrifice some security for the convenience.
Finally, almost 25% of respondents say they value face unlock if it’s 3D face unlock or another secure form of facial authentication. This is completely understandable given the security issues associated with camera-based unlocking and the finicky nature of in-display fingerprint sensors on some phones. Unfortunately, options are limited for 3D face unlock on Android right now.
- Lex1020: As long as it doesn’t replace the fingerprint scanner and is a secure one then sure. Sounds good.
- Skifarterking: I prefer a well positioned physical fingerprint reader, so that when I pick up the phone or take it out of the pocket it’s already unlocked and ready by the time I look at it.
- : I want face unlock only because this under the screen finger print unlock is poo. Ergonomically I much preferred the fingerprint reader on the back of the phone like it was on my Pixel 3a XL.
- Lcd1701: I wouldn’t use it even if it was available. Fingerprint is much more efficient, instantaneous, and doesn’t require sufficient lighting, nor have inherently slower response.
- Lamar Taylor: I own the iPhone 13 Pro Max and the GS22 Ultra as my business phone…I prefer Face ID and face unlock over a fingerprint reader. Samsung fingerprint readers still misfire at least once or twice a day…that adds up over time. Thanks to an update Face ID works great even while wearing a mask.
- BROKEN: I only use fingerprint.
- Rive: As long as it is specialized type like the mi 8 had, I’ll take face unlock all day