Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean apps on any device with custom recovery
Jelly Bean here, Jelly Bean there. We have been hearing people rave about the latest Android version for the past days and have wondered what this latest version have in store. If you have an Android device running on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and you are still waiting for official or custom Jelly Bean releases, we have something that will quench your curiosity about the latest Android version.
Do take note, what we are about to share with you is not a custom ROM. These are only Jelly Bean applications, not the OS itself. This will serve as a bit of a teaser for you, just to experience Jelly Bean applications even without upgrading your device yet.
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean brought along some new applications like Google Ears, also known as Google Sound Search, and improved Face Unlock. With this guide, you’ll be able to download and install from recovery a package provided by XDA Developers senior member kishankpadiyar, given that your device is already running Ice Cream Sandwich.
The package contains the following:
- Google Books
- Google Calendar
- Google Currents
- Google Ears
- Google Earth
- Google Magazines
- Google Maps
- Google Music
- Google News
- Google Play
- Google Wallet
- Email Client
- Face Unlock
- Noise Field
- Phase Beam
- Street View
- Talk Back
- Video Editor
Follow the requirements and instructions below to have these Jelly Bean apps installed on your device.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with all Android devices running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Applying these instructions on devices that don’t run on Ice Cream Sandwich may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Any Android device running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich with custom recovery such as ClockworkMod Recovery and TWRP Touch Recovery
- A Windows PC
- Your Android device’s USB Cable
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the Jelly Bean Applications package to your computer (JB Apps.zip, 49.85 MB)
- Copy the Jelly Bean Applications package to your device’s SD card.
- Switch off your device and reboot to ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP Recovery. Doing either varies, depending on your device.
- If you don’t know which buttons to press to boot your device to recovery, this article may be of help.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card. Select Choose ZIP from SD Card. Locate the JB Apps.zip file, select it, and confirm the action on the next screen. Installation will then start.
- Once the installation is done, go back to the main menu. Select Reboot System Now to reboot your Android device.
Great! Your Android 4.0 ICS device now has the latest Jelly Bean apps. Have fun with the new apps Jelly Bean brought along even if your device is still on ICS.