Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to flash ClockworkMod Touch Recovery for the HTCDesire
If you love flashing ROM after ROM on your Android devices, your Volume rockers and your Power button can finally take a break because a touch-enabled version of ClockworkMod Recovery has finally arrived on the HTCDesire.
Thanks to XDA Developers member Yorzua, HTCDesire users can now enjoy navigating through Recovery Mode with the help of their fingertips and touchscreens.
Unfortunately, this release is only compatible with HTCDesire devices. If your device is not an HTCDesire, we highly discourage attempting to apply this update as it may result in bricking your device.
This guide shows you how to flash ClockworkMod Touch Recovery for the HTCDesire.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the HTCDesire. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Rooted HTCDesire with S-OFF
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may get these drivers from HTC’s official support page for your handset.
- Android SDK (with ADB and Fastboot) installed on the PC. See our guide on how to set up and use ADB (Android Debug Bridge).
- ClockworkMod Touch Recovery image for the HTCDesire (recovery-clockwork-touch-22.214.171.124-bravo.img.zip, 3.18 MB)
- On the phone, “Fast boot” must be disabled (i.e., must not have a check mark beside it) from Settings > Power.
- A fully charged battery, or at least charged to 70%, to prevent the device from shutting off in the middle of the update process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- For backup tips, check our guides on how to sync your data to the cloud and how to create local backups of your mobile data.
- Extract the recovery image from inside the downloaded ZIP file. You may use 7-Zip, WinRAR, or other similar archive extraction programs.
- Rename the extracted recovery image file to
recovery.imgto make it easier to type during the flashing process through Fastboot.
- Copy the
recovery.imgfile to the folder on your computer where fastboot.exe is located.
- Turn off the phone.
- Reboot into Fastboot Mode. You can do this by holding down the Volume Down key while pressing the Power button. This button combo gets you into the HBOOT screen, from where you will highlight (with the Volume keys) and select (using Power key) FASTBOOT.
- Once you are in Fastboot Mode, connect your HTCDesire to your computer via the USB Cable.
- On your computer, go to the folder where fastboot.exe is located. While holding down the Shift key, right-click in the folder and select Open Command Window Here.
- This should open up a command window or DOS prompt.
- Type the following command in the command prompt window:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Press Enter. This will initiate the flashing of the new recovery to your device.
- Once the flashing is complete, select Bootloader in the main HBOOT menu.
- Highlight Recovery and press the Power button to select it. Your phone will now load ClockworkMod Touch Recovery.
Your phone should now reboot into the new ClockworkMod Touch Recovery. The power to flash kernels and ROMs is now at the tip of your fingers. Congratulations!