Indian smartphone brands are losing ground to Chinese manufacturers in their home market — not a single one made the list of the five biggest players in Q3. Samsung is tied with Xiaomi for first place, followed by Lenovo, Vivo, and Oppo. But Indian smartphone brands still have plenty to offer. You’ll find plenty of great devices in their lineups, featuring gorgeous designs and great price-performance ratios. But how to find the most interesting or most popular handsets? Which are the best Indian phone brands? Let’s take a look.
Micromax is the most used of the best Indian phone brands, according to a report by CMR (via Economic Times). At one point in 2014, it had the highest sales of any of the best Indian phone brands. Micromax was a rising star, making its mark with affordable handsets and celebrity ad campaigns featuring the likes of Hugh Jackman. The company isn’t as popular as it once was and is looking to get back on track by expanding to more international markets.
- Micromax Canvas Infinity Pro: The Canvas Infinity Pro is a mid-range device featuring a 5.7-inch HD display with an 18:9 aspect ratio. It’s powered by the Snapdragon 430 chipset, has 4 GB of RAM, and ships with Android 7.0 Nougat on board. The smartphone has a gorgeous design and can be yours for Rs. 13,999.
- Micromax Dual 5: Released last April, the Dual 5 sports a 5.5-inch Full HD display, the Snapdragon 652 chipset, and 4 GB of RAM. One of its best features is the dual camera setup on the back with two 13 MP sensors, which allows you to capture those popular bokeh images. You can get it on Amazon for Rs. 22,999.
- Micromax Dual 4: Compared to its bigger brother, the Dual 4 has a smaller 5.2-inch Full HD display and comes with the less powerful Snapdragon 435 under the hood. The handset sports 4 GB of RAM, has two 13 MP sensors on the back, and packs a 2,730 mAh battery. It retails for Rs. 14,888.
Lava is reportedly the second most popular of the best Indian phone brands. Founded in 2009, it currently has two assembly plants in the city of Noida. The company is also working towards setting up the first design center for phones in India that will allow it to have complete control over all its operations — from design to after-sales support. Lava does a lot of business outside its home market: its present in Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Indonesia, Mexico, the Middle East, Russia, and Egypt. In addition to phones, it also makes tablets and laptops.
Best Lava smartphones
- Lava Z25: This is Lava’s most expensive smartphone to date. It’s equipped with a 5.5-inch HD display and powered by the MediaTek MT6750 chipset. It also features 4 GB of RAM, a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, and a 13 MP camera with LED flash, PDAF, and an f/2.0 aperture. Its biggest drawback is that it runs an older version of Android — Marshmallow. The device is listed at Rs. 14,566 on Amazon.
- Lava Z90: The Z90 was announced in September and comes with a 5.2-inch HD display. You’ll find a dual-camera setup on the back with 8 and 2 MP sensors for those fancy bokeh images. The handset is powered by MediaTek’s MT6737 chipset, has 3 GB of RAM, and runs Android 7.0 Nougat. It can be yours for Rs. 9,730.
- Lava Z80: The Z80 was released the same time as its larger brother and offers similar specs. It’s powered by the same chipset and also sports 3 GB of RAM. But the handset does come with a smaller 5-inch HD display and a single 8 MP shooter on the back. It also features a fingerprint scanner, ships with Android Nougat on board, and carries a price tag of Rs. 8,145 on Amazon.
Intex one of the largest and best Indian phone brands with over 6,000 employees. It started its journey back in 1996 as an IT accessory supplier and is now best known for its smartphones — although the company produces many other consumer electronics including smartwatches, tablets, and TVs. A CMR report claims that Intex smartphones are the third most used in India. The company was also briefly the largest Indian smartphone maker in 2015 — ahead of Micromax — but has lost a lot of market share since then. It has a few great smartphones in its lineup that are worth checking out, some of which are available in many other regions including Europe.
Intex best smartphones
- Intex Elyt E7: This beautiful, metal smartphone launched in June. It sports a 5.2-inch HD display, is powered by the MediaTek MT6737V chipset, and has 3 GB of RAM. The smartphone runs Android Nougat and packs a massive 4,020 mAh battery. To get it, you’ll have to dish out at least Rs. 7,999.
- Intex Aqua Lions X1+: The Aqua Lions X1+ is a mid-range smartphone that comes equipped with a shatterproof 5.2-inch HD display. You’ll find MediaTek’s MT6737 chipset under the hood along with 3 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage. The device ships with Android Nougat, has a 5 MP selfie camera with flash, and comes in three colors: glossy black, champagne, and blue. Amazon currently sells it for Rs. 8,199.
- Intex Aqua Lions X1: This is a toned-down version of the Aqua Lions X1+ model. It has the same shatterproof display, chipset, and camera, but offers less RAM (2 GB) and storage (16 GB). It runs Android Nougat, packs a 2,800 mAh battery, and will set you back Rs. 7,999.
Founded in 2009, Karbonn is one of the most well-known best Indian phone brands. Its devices are available from over 85,000 retailers across the country and online. The company has 15 e-commerce partners including Flipkart. Karbonn smartphones are reportedly the fourth most used in India and are available in many other countries, including in Africa, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East. It’s focused on providing customers with good after-sales service and has set up more than 800 service centers across India as well as 12 international centers.
Best Karbonn smartphones
- Karbonn Aura Note 2: Although it’s far from the most powerful smartphone on the market, it still has enough power under the hood for the average user. It’s powered by the Mediatek MT6737M chipset, has 2 GB of RAM, and offers a 5.5-inch HD display. The metal handset is equipped with a 13 MP primary camera and packs a 2,900 mAh removable battery. It won’t break the bank, as it retails for Rs. 5,576.
- Karbonn Aura Note Play: If you’re looking for an affordable smartphone with a big screen, the Karbonn Aura Note Play might be up your alley. It offers a 6-inch display with HD resolution and retails for Rs. 7,535. The handset also packs a MediaTek MT6737M chipset and 2 GB of RAM. Then there’s dual-SIM support, Android 7.0 Nougat, a fingerprint scanner, and an 8 MP camera.
- Karbonn Titanium Jumbo: This smartphone was launched in October and is equipped with a 5-inch HD display. This makes it quite compact, although it’s not the best for watching movies. The Titanium Jumbo is powered by the MediaTek MT6737M processor and comes with 2 GB of RAM. It sports a large 4,000 mAh battery, a 13 MP primary camera, and an 8 MP selfie snapper. You can order it from Amazon for Rs. 5,699.
YU Mobiles is a subsidiary of another best Indian phone brand, Micromax, and was created in 2014. Its main focus is to sell devices online on e-commerce websites like Flipkart. In addition to smartphones, the company sells fitness trackers, power banks, and a few other accessories. Rumors back in May suggested that Micromax planned on discontinuing the Yu Mobiles brand, but those have turned out to be false — at least for now. Since then, the company launched the Yureka Black, Yunique 2, and Yureka 2 smartphones, which are listed below.
Best Yu Mobiles smartphones
- Yu Yunique 2: The device launched in July and is the successor to the popular Yunique handset that debuted in 2015. It’s compact thanks to its 5-inch HD display and is powered by MediaTek’s MT6737 chipset. The smartphone also features 2 GB of RAM, a 2,500 mAh battery, and a 13 MP camera with LED flash. It comes in champagne or coal black and can be yours for Rs. 5,999.
- Yu Yureka Black: This smartphone was announced in June and falls into the mid-range category. It sports a 5-inch Full HD display and packs the Snapdragon 430 chipset along with 4 GB of RAM under the hood. Unfortunately, it ships with Android Marshmallow on board, but the Nougat update is already available. The device comes in chrome black or matte black and retails for Rs. 8,999.
- Yu Yureka 2: The latest smartphone from Yu Mobiles comes with a 5.5-inch Full HD display, the Snapdragon 625 chipset, and 4 GB of RAM. It sports a metal body that packs a large 3,930 mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 support. The handset also features a fingerprint scanner, a 16 MP camera, and a price tag of Rs. 11,999.
Even more options!
We’re just scratching the surface! Whether you’re looking specifically for the best Indian phone brands, phones under RS 10,000, under RS 30,000, and anything in between — we have a guide for you.