Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Asus Zenfone 6 gets Android 11 update in one market
Update: December 29 2020 (2:20 AM ET): We’re but a couple of days away from the end of the year, but Asus has indeed brought Android 11 to the Zenfone 6. XDA-Developers spotted an official forum post noting that Android 11 is now rolling out to the device in its home market of Taiwan. The update has the version number 18.0610.2011.107.
You can check out some of the tweaks in the machine-translated changelog below.
- Upgrade system to Android 11
- Remove private listening, ZenUI Help and one-handed mode
- The power expert function is integrated into the battery setting. Remove Avast scan engine
- The desktop removes options such as smart classification, alignment icons, and icon packages. Click on a blank area of the screen to organize application software icons across pages.
- Import the new ZenUI interface design
- Adjust the quick setting panel interface and support media control. Remove the multi-window entrance, and add adjacent sharing options (need to manually add)
- The “Wi-Fi automatic download and installation” setting of the system update is turned on by default
- Third-party desktop supports the use of full-screen gestures
There’s no word on when this update will be coming to other markets, but presumably it isn’t far behind Taiwan’s rollout then. What would you like to see addressed in future Zenfone 6 updates though? Let us know in the comments!
Original article: May 28 2019 (1:57 AM ET): Welcome to the Asus Zenfone 6 updates hub. Here, you’ll find everything you need to know about the latest Android updates for the device, including past and future software versions.
The Zenfone 6 runs the ZenUI Android skin, which is the Taiwanese firm’s own take on Android. Got this phone? Then be sure to bookmark this page for the latest updates.
Asus Zenfone 6 updates
- Current stable version: Android 10
- When will the Zenfone 6 get Android 11: Q4 2020 or Q1 2021 (estimated)
The Zenfone 6 launched in May 2019 with Android Pie, and it got Android 10 in November of that year (see further down the page). We’re expecting the phone to get one more major Android version update as a result (namely Android 11).
Asus pushed out one of the phone’s first major updates in late May (h/t: XDA), with version number 16.1210.1904.115. This update delivered improved speed and quality when taking Super Night or HDR+ Enhanced photos. It also brought improved “camera rotation stability,” let you use the smart key as a camera shutter button, and allowed you to use the volume keys to rotate the flip camera (you can also assign the keys to control the shutter or zoom).
The next big update for the Zenfone 6 was the Android 10 update on November 4 2019. This update (17.1810.1910.63) initially launched in the US and India before spreading out to other markets. Expect the usual Android 10 goodies such as expanded gesture navigation, Smart Reply functionality, and Google Play System Update functionality (ostensibly related to Project Mainline).
Asus started a limited Android 11 beta program in August 2020, giving hope that the stable update would actually launch in the coming months.
Let us know which Zenfone 6 update you’re rocking in the comments, and if you’ve spotted a recent update we’ve missed, tip us!