Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
ASUS ZenUI Launcher now compatible with any phone running Android 4.3 or higher
In the early days of Android, OEM-created UX skins were perhaps a “necessary evil” in the eyes of some critics. Google’s own OS had far less usability solutions than it does today, meaning that TouchWiz and its irk provided some clear and sincere “value added services”. Defenders often point out, for example, that Samsung had a brightness slider and quick setting toggles on the notification shade ages before Mountain View ever got inspired.
While some argue that stock AOSP is still lacking in some regards making Nexus devices “boring” and passable, the anti-alteration iteration proclamation has seemingly picked up steam, as both Samsung and HTChave trimmed layers of lard from their OS skins in the past year or so. And yet, launchers are as popular as ever. HTCmay be working on mass marketing its own, but ASUS has beat it to the punch.
The ASUS ZenUI launcher is available to any and all Android phones running version 4.3 or higher, and allows users of any OEM hardware to get the look and feel of a ZenFone product. As per ASUS’ app page, the features and functions are as follows:
- Google Play’s top-ranked ZenUI Launcher now supports all Android mobile devices running version 4.3 and above!
- Customize your launcher the way you want it to be: apply your favorite (and free!) themes, wallpapers and widgets, change app icons, apply scroll effects or transitions, or organize your apps in folders. Secure your apps from prying eyes with integrated app locking features.
- Your Android launcher, now more personalized!
• Showcase your personality on your Android devices using a variety of free themes, free wallpapers, icons, effects and transitions! You can even set different wallpapers in home screen and lock screen to make it more fun and interesting.
• Customize the font style, font size, or icon size of your app and widgets on the home screen, lock screen, and all apps screen.
- Efficiently and intuitively manage your home screen!
• Swipe up home screen to access the setting shortcuts to key features such as apps, widgets, wallpapers, icons, and system themes to customize your launcher easily.
• Download complimentary themes and icon packs with Launcher theme shortcut.
• Organize your apps and folders in One layer mode (access all apps on home screen) or Two layer mode (access apps using a shortcut).
• Auto-group related apps using Smart Group feature to keep your screen organized.
• Get a sneak live preview on your screen when customizing your wallpapers, themes, fonts, and more!
- Search smart and fast!
• Swipe down to smart-search your apps, contacts, or trending topics instantly in your Android device with Quick Find feature.
• Explore great Android apps recommended just for you with intuitive Contextual App Discovery feature.
Safety and security that you can depend on!
• Get the best security for your apps with the integrated AppLock and Hide App features that protect your private apps from prying eyes or unauthorized access.
While some find ASUS phones to be overly bogged down in clutter and UX mess, others find them to be rather…Zen like. Given the fact that the launcher is entirely free to try and use, there is seemingly no harm in downloading it to see what there is to say. Perhaps it will have some elements that even the most skeptical user really appreciated. For what it’s worth, the feedback on the Play Store is overwhelming positive, with 5/5 being the current winner.
For those interested in trying out the launcher, please click on the link below:
Have you tried the ZenUI skin? What do you think? Leave your comments down below and let everyone know!