Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Lollipop Preview available for Ascend Mate 2
If you’re waiting for Android Lollipop to land on your HUAWEI Ascend Mate 2, the wait is over.. sort of. HUAWEI has announced that the Android 5.1 Lollipop Preview for the Ascend Mate 2 is now available but you’ll need to download and flash it yourself.
Starting today, Android 5.1 (Lollipop) is available to HUAWEI Ascend Mate 2 owners. This major update also includes HUAWEI’s new EMUI 3.1 software. Interested customers can download and install this first release version of the software now. HUAWEI will continue to enhance the software, even after this initial version is made available, to deliver the best experience to you, our customers. We look forward to your feedback.
HUAWEI also confirmed the Lollipop Preview can be installed on devices with the following firmware versions:
- MT2-L03 V100R001C00B126
- MT2-L03 V100R001C00B148
If your handset meets the requirements, you’ll need to backup your phone, either using the Backup application in EMUI, using HUAWEI’s HiSuite app for Windows or another backup application of your choice.
Once you’re backed up and ready to install, flashing the Lollipop Preview is rather straight forward. First, you’ll need a microSD card with 4GB space or more and then you’ll need to follow the steps below:
- Format the micro SD card (This is optional).
- Download then extract the B309.zip file.
- Copy the entire “dload” folder to the root directory of the micro SD card.
- Make sure your handset is powered off. Insert the micro SD card into the handset.
- Press and hold the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN keys simultaneously, and then press the POWER button. Release power when you see the device turn on.
- The phone should boot and begin flashing. When the progress bar stops, the phone will restart.
- You may enter the Emergency Data dialog at the first boot. Choose the Factory data reset and click the Yes button. When the reset is done, reboot your phone.
The Android Lollipop update brings Google’s latest OS along with HUAWEI’s latest Emotion UI v3.1 interface, which initially launched on the Huawei P8. To download the firmware, visit the source link below where Huawei has also included instructions on downgrading your software if you’re not happy with the Lollipop update.