Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week - August 23rd
With the Note 5 launch behind us, this week brought us official word of the final name for Android M, Marshmallow. Even more intriguing, Google jumped a whole number, dubbing the OS version 6.0. We were also treated to a number of leaks from the LG Nexus to the Moto 360 (2nd-gen), and even additional evidence that an Android-powered Blackberry may be on its way.
Inside AA HQ
You may have noticed that Senior Editor Bogdan Petrovan usually writes this weekly recap, but this week he is out on a very well deserved vacation. As for the week itself? While the announcement of Android Marshmallow took us by a bit of a surprise, most of this week’s news has been expected, such as the commercial launch of the Note 5 to all US carriers. There were also a ton of leaks that give us a hint at what is next in the Android Wear and Nexus worlds.
Personally, I found the launch of the ZUK Z1 to be one of the more intriguing bits of news this week, with the international version slated to arrive later this fall with Cyanogen, mid-to-high end specs, and a price tag that even undercuts the OnePlus One and 2. It has been said before that 2015 is an epic year for budget-conscientious consumers looking for a new device, and so the more devices that enter this camp — the merrier.
Turning to what’s next, IFA is creeping up on us and while it arguably won’t be quite as interesting this year with the absence of a big Samsung announcement, we’ll still be on the ground in Berlin from September 1st checking all the other announcements from Asus, Sony, Huawei, and others.
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Unboxing and impressions: Lanh unboxes the Note 5
- How to: Feist tells us how to remotely control YouTube with your Android phone
- First impressions: Nirave gives us his first impressions of the Edge+
- Review: Krystal Lora reviews the Asus ZenPad S 8.0 review
- Opinion: Rob asks, can anyone kick Qualcomm from its high horse?
- Review: Matt talks about the mythical Edge tablet, and what could have been
- Versus: Josh pits the OnePlus One vs OnePlus 2
- Game review: Edgar gives us a closer look at Fallout Shelter
Top news of the week
Android 6.0 Marshmallow is official
- Google officially names Android M as Marshmallow, dubs it Android 6.0
- Why Android 6.0? Simon gives us some insight
What’s next for Nexus
- LG Nexus supposedly spotted in the wild
- How Huawei and LG can restore the Nexus program to its former glory
- Nexus rumor roundup gets updated
Note 5 and Edge+
- Note 5 and Edge+ now available from all major US carriers
- Note 5 said to have the best phone display on the market
- Galaxy S6 and Edge getting some of the Note 5 and Edge+ special features
Android Wear update, new watch leaks, and more
- Android Wear gets big update, adds interactive watchfaces
- Moto 360 2nd-gen spotted numerous times in the wild
- Fossil shows off its Intel-powered Android Wear watch
- LG G Watch R finally gets WiFi support
Project Ara delayed to 2016
- Google delays Project Ara until 2016, US may be first launch market now
- Project Ara is ditching electropermanent magnets
Hints at what’s to come at IFA 2015
- Asus teases a new smartphone and ZenWatch 2 in IFA 2015 promo video
- Sony Xperia Z5 compact shown off in alleged leak
Other cool news worth checking out
- More Blackberry Venice leaks (videos and more)
- Google Photos will now remind you of photos you took in the past
- Bing’s new Snapshot feature on Android aims to rival Google Now on Tap
- OnePlus 2 getting an interesting competitor in the form of ZUK Z1
- Blackphone 2 coming in September
- Huawei Honor 7i announced with 180-degree rotating camera
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: