Welcome to the 356th edition of Android Apps Weekly — here are the big headlines from the last week:
- There is a security vulnerability with Go SMS. The vulnerability is very simple. Go SMS lets users share files via web links. You can open the web links without the app. Researchers found out the app creates links in sequential order. Thus, you only need one link in order to know basically all of the other links. The researchers told Go SMS but the app didn’t fix the issue. Hit the link to learn more.
- Google launched a new app in Kenya and India. The new app, Task Mate, pays users small sums of money to perform basic smartphone actions. It’ll ask you to do stuff like say ten sentences or take photos of storefronts. The app pays out in real money instead of Play Store credits. It requires a referral code, though, so it’s a bit tough to get into.
- AliExpress got banned in India this week. It’s the latest Chinese app to get banned in the country amid the political unrest between the two countries. It joins a large and growing list of Chinese apps banned throughout 2020. Hit the link for the full list and, if you’re affected, hit the link for alternatives.
- Microsoft may bring Android apps to Windows 10. To start, Microsoft would add direct Android app support to the platform in order to bypass emulators. Then, developers could basically publish their apps to the Microsoft Store with few code changes. This isn’t the first time Microsoft tried this, but hopefully it’s the last one. It would improve app support on Microsoft Windows by a very large margin.
- Google Messages is adding end-to-end encryption to its app. It’ll only work over RCS and only if both participants are using Google Messages with the Chat feature turned on. The beta rolls out over the course of the next couple of weeks and to everyone once the beta test is over. Hit the link for more details.
Tomb Toad is a retro style puzzle-adventure game. The game includes over 100 levels with various obstacles, a level editor to make your own dungeons, and simple controls. You move the character by rotating the map and avoid obstacles with smart movements. The unique game play mixed with the retro graphics give this one a charming feel. It goes for $3.99 with no in-app purchases or ads.
Price: Free / $4.99 per month
Mangamo is a new manga reader with a metric ton of manga. The service boasts a collection of over 1,000 manga, including some really popular ones. The app also includes no reading limits, original series, new releases on a daily basis, and some other features. There is only a 30-day trial followed by a $4.99 per month subscription. It received a bunch of 1-star reviews from people who want free manga. However, the app is solid with only minor UI complaints.
Price: Free to play
Shining Beyond is an idle RPG. It leans a little more heavily on the RPG elements. Players can earn resources and treasures offline like any normal idle game. However, you can also play online with other players, customize your hero, play in-game events, and there is a campaign mode as well. There are some bugs and the controls could use some tweaks. It’s otherwise a good little time waster with a ton of game play.
Price: Free trial / $4.99 per month
Apple TV released an official app for some Android TVs recently. The service is a video streaming service with a bunch of original content. You can also buy movies and TV shows, some in 4K with HDR. The app is an initial release for Android TV devices. Unfortunately, it’s only available for some Sony Bravia TVs at the time of this writing. We expect availability to improve over time.
Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead
The popular Bridge Constructor series has a new game out. This one takes place in The Walking Dead universe. Players construct bridges and traps with the help of iconic characters from the series. The goal is to provide safe passage while also killing many zombies. The game has various levels and an actual plot to follow. Plus, it’s relatively inexpensive with no in-app purchases or ads. This is a good puzzle game for fans of the genre.
Thank you for reading! Try these out too:
- 15 best adventure games for Android
- 10 best manga apps for Android
- 15 best idle tap games for Android
- 10 best Android TV apps to get the most out of your TV
- 15 best puzzle games for Android
If we missed any big Android app or game releases, tell us about them in the comments!