Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
5 Android apps you shouldn't miss this week! - Android Apps Weekly
The 246th Android Apps Weekly is live! This week we talk about new Pokemon games, Facebook losing its teenagers, Netflix beating Disney, PUBG suing Fortnite, and more Android apps and games news and releases!
Welcome to the 246th edition of Android Apps Weekly! Here are the big headlines from the last week:
- PUBG is suing Fortnite over alleged copyright violations in South Korea. This is a long time in the making. Fortnite announced its battle royale mode late last year. It was immediately controversial for its similarities to PUBG. Now, a court is going to settle it. PUBG isn’t the first battle royale style game. However, the claim is over similar elements from both games and not necessarily the genre itself. We’ll see how it all goes down.
- Facebook is losing its teenagers. A report from 2015 states that 71% of teenagers surveyed used Facebook. The same report showed only 51% in its 2018 report. It also showed that most kids use YouTube, Instagram, and Snapchat. Thus, Facebook is still in the running as the owner of Instagram. Many pundits blame the Cambridge Audio Audio Analytica debacle. However, it’s more likely that teens simply don’t enjoy the platform as much as they used to. The other networks they use are faster, more flashy, and overwhelmingly less political than Facebook. It may very well be that Facebook isn’t a kid friendly place anymore, not that it ever was.
- Netflix surpassed Disney as the most valuable entertainment company. Netflix’s stock valuation put it at $153 billion, just barely squeezing by Disney’s $152 billion. This likely answers a lot of questions we’ve had about Disney over the last year. For instance, Disney plans on opening its own streaming service with its massive library of content to compete with Netflix. As it turns out, that may be a good business decision because Netflix is cleaning up right now.
- Hello Neighbor is in beta on Android and iOS. It’s a quirky horror game with Pixar-style animation. The player breaks into their neighbors house to find out why he’s always acting to strange. The game features procedural AI as well. Every subsequent attempt to break in gets harder as the neighbor learns your patterns and tries to set traps for you. We can’t wait for an official launch on this one.
- Nintendo announced some new Pokemon stuff this week. That includes a new Pokemon game. Pokemon Quest is an action-RPG with voxel graphics, simple touch controls, and various customizations. Unfortunately, it won’t be a real Pokemon game like we all want. However, it is something. The company also announced new Pokemon games for the Nintendo Switch for later this year with Pokemon Go integration. Grab your power bricks, folks, Pokemon Go is probably making a minor comeback later this year.
Thank you for reading!
Thank you for reading!
If we missed any big Android apps or games news, updates, or releases, tell us about them in the comments below. Stop back by next week for more!