Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
5 Android apps you shouldn't miss this week - Android Apps Weekly!
The 241st Android Apps Weekly is out! This week we talk about the 2018 Google Play Awards, a new game from Nintendo called Dragalia Lost, a new browser from Opera, and Harry Potter: Hogwards Mystery along with more Android apps and games news!
Welcome to the 241st edition of Android Apps Weekly! Here are the big headlines from the last week:
- Russia continued its war against Telegram this week. The government there blocked Google Services in an attempt to further block Telegram. This puts an interesting wedge between Google and Telegram. Either Google sides with Russia and enforces removal of Telegram’s app or Google sides with Telegram and rails against Russia. Of course, this wouldn’t need to happen if Russia wasn’t embarrassingly bad at blocking Telegram on its own. We’ll keep you updated as more details come in.
- Everybody knows that YouTube Music/Remix is coming. However, there are now rumblings that Google Play Music won’t survive the transition. Reports indicate that Google Play Music ends up rolled into YouTube Music in a mass migration. YouTube Music/Remix would integrate the features needed to bridge the gap and that will be that. Google hasn’t confirmed any of this, yet. It does make sense, though. We can’t see Google maintaining two separate music services.
- The big Gmail update began rolling out this week. The website received quite the overhaul. Some of the new features include a Snooze Mode, some new hover menus, a new add-ons section, and more. Upcoming features include a Confidential Mode (self-destructing emails), a Nudge feature, and more. The visuals got an update as well. We took a good look at all the new stuff. Click the link to learn more and check out our video on the topic!
- Google I/O is nearly here and with that, the 2018 Google Play Awards. The list of nominees is officially out this week. There are quite a few categories, including Best Breakthrough Hit, Standout Startup, Best Community Building game, Best AR or VR Experience, Best Accessibility Experience, Best Social Impact, and more. There are some rather big names on this year’s list as well, including Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition, PUBG Mobile, Be My Eyes, Khan Academy, Lifesum, Clash Royale, Pokemon Go, and others. Hit the link to see the full list of nominees!
- Nintendo launched a new RPG this week, but only in Japan. Dragalia Lost features chibi-style graphics and what appears to be action RPG mechanics. It also includes the fun, colorful characters that Nintendo does best. You can see the Google Play listing here for more details about the game. Nintendo estimates a Western release sometime in the summer of 2018. We can’t wait because this one looks pretty good.
Read more related app lists!
Read more related app lists!
If we missed any big Android apps or games news, releases, or updates, tell us about them in the comments below!