Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Blast from the past: ADW Launcher 2.0 is here with tons of new features
Back in 2011, ADW Launcher was one of the most popular third-party launchers available on Android. It was fast, reliable and customizable, but after a few years it stopped receiving support, and other launchers were coming out with bigger and better features.
Now ADW Launcher is back with a huge version 2.0 release.
This new version brings a whole new look and feel to the app, complete with Material Design enhancements and tons of customization options. Some of the standout features that set ADW apart from the crowd include the ability to create your own custom widget within the app, utilize the ADW Extensions pack for different plugins, and the huge number of customization options scattered throughout the app. Seriously, there are tons of changes in this release. For the full changelog, you can head on over to the ADW Blog, or you can check out the condensed version below:
- Dynamic UI coloring using wallpaper colors.
- Added fast scroll app drawer style.
- Added new section to configure icon badges.
- Added a visual mode to configure desktop, icon appearance, folder appearance, and app drawer options.
- Added option to change the top panel/widget.
- Added option to change the content type of bottom panel (dock/widget).
- Added new wrap folder mode to folders. This mode lets you launch the first app in the folder on tap, and show the folder contents on swipe up.
- Added new Custom Widget object. You can add new custom widgets from widget list, import them from friends and other developers, create, edit and share your own.
- Added some initial extensions for the custom widgets (time/battery)
- Added backup manager in advanced settings/system. Now you can import data from Action Launcher 3, Nova Launcher, Google Now Launcher, Apex Launcher, etc..
To get the latest version, you’ll need to opt into the beta testing program, then download the app from the Play Store. It’s free, but there’s an optional $3.99 in-app purchase for the premium version that will get you even more customization options and unlimited custom widgets.
Have you tried the new version yet? If so, let us know how you’re liking it in the comments!