ClockworkMod Tether App : Use your Mobile Phone’s Data Connection Plan on your Computer PC
From the developer of ClockworkMod Custom Recovery and DeskSMS comes a new app that allows you to browse the Internet on your computer using your phone’s data connection plan.
The ClockworkMod Tether app allows you to utilize your mobile data connection plan via USB tethering to browse the Internet on your computer. This app also work for both rooted and non-rooted devices. You also won’t be needing to worry about extra data charges, for the ClockworkMod Tether app works under stealth and avoids detection by mobile carriers.
You will first need to do the following before installing the ClockworkMod Tether app:
- Install a virtual network adapter on your computer. You can the download the installer file for Windows (XP/Vista/7) here. For Linux, you can download it here. For Mac (10.6/10.7) users, download the installer here.
- Download and install the Tether app from the Android Market, or manually install the APK file that you can download from here.
- Enable USB debugging on your mobile phone. To do that you will need to go to Settings > Applications > Development and enable USB debugging. Make sure you also check “Unknown sources” under Settings > Applications.
- Uninstall other tethering apps such as PdaNet before using the ClockworkMod Tether app.
If all are in place, let’s now proceed with installing and setting up tethering on your desktop and mobile device.
- Go to the Android Market and search for ClockworkMod Tether.
- Download and install the ClockworkMod Tether app to your mobile phone. If the app has been removed for your device, manually download and side-install (sideload) the APK file to your device. (See alternate link in Requirements section.)
- Download and install the appropriate virtual network adapter for your computer. (See the links in the Requirements section.)
- After installing, your desktop browser will direct you to the ClockworkMod website. There you will need to find and download the exact ADB driver for your mobile device. The ADB driver allows effective communication between your desktop and your mobile phone.
- Connect your device to your computer via USB cable.
- Open the Tether app on your mobile phone.
- Click the USB logo to start USB Tether.
- Go to your computer and open the Tether app.
- Click Start and wait until Tether is connected.
- If you’re having connection problems, click stop and start the process again until Tether successfully connects.
You’re all done. If you have followed the instructions carefully, you can now browse the Internet on your computer using your phone’s data connection.
You will have at least 14 days free trial to enjoy unlimited tethering using this app. After 14 days, you will be allowed to download only 20 MB a day. You can upgrade to the premium version of the app for US$4.99 if you want to continue enjoying unlimited tethering.
Have you successfully tethered your computer to your phone using ClockworkMod Tether? Or do you use a different solution? If so, what solution do you use?