Nowadays, people on the go don’t tag along just one mobile device. It is typical for them to have multiple mobile devices in their bag. Smartphones, PDAs, tablets, and laptops are some of the usual gadgets they carry around. And, having to bring these gadgets along gave birth to Internet tethering, through which one can share the Internet connection from one’s phone to other gadgets.
The sad part about Internet tethering, though, is the fact that most wireless providers would charge you extra even if you are already subscribed to an unlimited data plan. This is an issue that has been debated on even until now.
The issue may be bad, but the good thing is we always have a workaround for it. If you check the Android Market, you will see several tethering apps that offer solutions for issues like this. ClockworkMod Tether is one of these apps that offer Internet tethering solutions. The app is basically a USB tether solution that will work with Windows, Mac, and Linux. You don’t need to pay extra for Internet tethering.
The app is a free trial good for 14 days, which is not bad. After that period, you can still use the app but it will limit you up to 20 MB of download. If you like the full version of the app, you can buy the premium one.
This app has been launched recently and it has already received a lot of positive feedback. There are many people who are happy with the app. This app came from the developer of the famous ClockworkMod Recovery, so we shouldn’t be surprised if this app is a good one.
For the steps on how to install and use this app, see the instructions below.
- Download the ClockworkMod Tether app from the Android Market and install it into your smartphone. Get the app here.
- Download the software for your PC. If you have an Internet connection on your laptop or desktop, download and install the software to your computer. For Windows (XP or higher), get the installer here. For Mac (10.6 or 10.7), get the installer here. For Linux, get the installer here.
- If your computer doesn’t have an Internet connection at the moment, open the ClockworkMod Tether app that you installed to your phone earlier. Go to the Help option in the app and then download the PC software into your smartphone from there. Copy the downloaded file to your PC and install it afterwards.
- Download and install the USB/ADB drivers for your Android smartphone from here.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device by going to Settings > Applications > Development and check the box for USB Debugging.
- Connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable.
- Open ClockworkMod Tether on your phone. You should now be able to surf the web on your computer.
Congratulations! You can now tether your computer to your Android phone without needing a separate tethering plan or without being blocked or detected by your mobile carrier.
Have you tried this app to bypass your network carrier’s tether detection? How’s the Internet connection speed on your device?