The Amazon Kindle Fire HD, as well as Amazon’s other tablets, are very good buys. The tablets take reading a notch higher, giving you a rather new experience in reading ebooks. The only thing that the tablets come short of, despite being an Android device, is that you can only download and install apps from Amazon’s Appstore.
Although that was the case, owners of the said tablets can now install apps from the Google Play Store, all thanks to the developer community.
XDA Developers member stopxwatch has provided a workaround that allows Kindle Fire owners to enjoy the ever-growing number of apps in the Google Play Store. Just a heads-up though, this guide entails adding files to the /system folder. As of the moment, there is no way one can restore the original system folder so do proceed with extra caution.
This guide shows you how to install Google Play Store on the Kindle Fire HD.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the 7-inch Amazon Kindle Fire HD. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7″ with ES File Explorer.
- For help, check out our guide on how to root your 7-inch Amazon Kindle Fire HD using an automated root tool.
- You can download ES File Explorer from the Amazon Appstore.
- Your tablet’s USB cable
- Download the following to your computer:
- Make sure your tablet’s battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Google Services Framework, Vending, and the Google Play Store APK files to your tablet’s internal SD card.
- On your tablet, launch ES File Explorer.
- Head on to Settings > Root settings > Root explorer. Enable the “Root explorer” option and confirm the action when prompted.
- Tap the Allow button on the pop-up screen to grant root access to ES File Explorer.
- Enable “Up to Root” and “Mount File System”. After enabling both, close the Settings option and return to the main screen of ES File Explorer.
- Navigate to where you copied the files mentioned in step 1.
- Tap on the GoogleServicesFramework.apk file to install it on your tablet.
- Once installation is complete, long press on the Vending.apk file and select Copy.
- Press the Up button located on the top of the screen until you see folders named acct and cache.
- Look for the /settings/app folder. Open the folder and paste the Vending.apk file in it.
- After copying, long press on the Vending.apk file. Click on Properties then click Change. Make the following changes to the file permissions:
- User: Read, Write
- Group: Read
- Other: Read
- Tap on the Vending.apk file file once again to start installing it. You will have the Android Market app after the installation.
- Exit the ES File Explorer and launch the Android Market found on the apps menu.
- Set up Android Market by providing your Google account details.
- Once set up is complete, close the application and go back to ES File Explorer.
- Navigate to where you copied the Gplay3.8.17.apk file. Tap on the file to start installing it to your tablet. This will upgrade your Android Market to Google Play Store.
- You can check out the Google Play Store app on the app menu. With this, you can now download Google apps like Gmail, YouTube, and a lot more.
Great job! You can now download lots and lots of apps to your 7-inch Amazon Kindle Fire HD through the use of the Google Play Store. If you have tried doing the steps in the guide above, do let us know how the app works for you by leaving your comments below.