Upgrade Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 to Official Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread Build DDLA1
The Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 is one of Samsung’s very popular entry-level Android handsets. When it was first released into the market, it originally came with Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread. But, Samsung has already released an official update for the device, which will bring the phone’s firmware to Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread.
Also referred to as build DDLA1, the firmware update ties up some of the loose ends in the original firmware build that came with the Galaxy Y when it first came out. So, even though the new version is not as exciting as Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, it may be worth updating your Galaxy Y with it.
This firmware update build DDLA1 for the Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 should not be applied if you have a phone which is network-locked. Doing so might cause damage to your phone or could brick your phone. Updating your handset to this firmware build will also make you lose root access (if you’ve previously rooted your phone).
For instructions on how to upgrade your Galaxy Y S5360 to Gingerbread build DDLA1, read the rest of this guide.
Complete the requirements below first before you proceed to the installation instructions.
- Keep at least 50% battery charge (full charge preferred).
- Disable antivirus and other security tools on your computer and phone.
- Make a back up of all your important files and data in your phone.
- If you have Samsung KIES, close it completely (or uninstall it) and don’t back up data using this tool.
- DDLA1 update package. Get it here and save it to your computer.
- PIT file for the update. Get it here and save it to your computer.
- Odin3 v1.85. Get this tool here and save it to your computer.
WARNING: We do not guarantee that these instructions will work for you. Do not hold us responsible if you damage or brick your phone after you perform the procedure in this guide.
Here’ how to upgrade your device:
- Enable USB Debugging mode on your device by going to Settings > Applications > Development.
- Unpack the DDLA1 update package that you have downloaded earlier. It’s a RAR archive, so you will need RAR extraction software such as WinRAR to extract its contents.
- Turn off your phone and reboot it into download mode. Do this by pressing the Volume Down key and the Home (middle) button simultaneously and then press the Power button.
- Run Odin3 on your computer.
- Connect your phone to your PC. Odin3 will detect your phone automatically. Check the yellow ID:COM in Odin3. If you see this, it means that the drivers are successfully loaded.
- In Odin3, load the files listed below into their respective tabs (highlighted in bold below). These files are are included in the archives that you have downloaded earlier.
- PIT — totoro_0623.pit
- Boot Loader — DefaultCalDataWithBoot_S5360DDLA1_REVO5.tar.md5
- PDA — PDA_S5360DDLA1_REVO5.tar.md5
- Phone — MODEM__S5360DDLA1_REVO5.tar.md5
- CSC — GT-S5360-MULTI-CSC-ODDLA1.tar.md5
- Under “Option” in Odin3, check only “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time”. Leave the other options unchecked.
- If you are done, click the Start button for the process to begin. If the update was successful your phone will restart.
- Turn off your device and enter into recovery mode.
- While in recovery mode, select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” and “Wipe Cache Partition”.
- Reboot your device.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version and check whether it displays “Android 2.3.6 DDLA1”.
Congratulations! You have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 to Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread build DDLA1.