Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is out but we are still waiting for official announcements from manufacturers about when will they be shipping the updates to our mobile phones. Rumor says that Samsung is already testing the ROM and is expected to ship the updates this coming August or September to the international Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300.
For carrier-locked variants, you will have to wait much longer until individual phone carriers approve to ship the update. To enjoy Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean, you will either have to wait for the official update to come, or install a custom ROM such as CyanogenMod 10 on your mobile phone.
The CyanogenMod team has been busy gathering the rare ingredients and studying the cookbook to serve the sweet and tasty Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710. The team has released a preview build of the ROM to let users take a first bite of the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on their mobile phone.
Although the CyanogenMod 10 ROM for the Sprint Galaxy S3 is still in its early stages, the ROM's progress looks promising and we should be expecting a more stable release sooner than the official updates arrive.
Read on to learn how to flash CyanogenMod 10 for the Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH-L710.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SPH-L710. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download the following files:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy cm-10-20120723-UNOFFICIAL-d2spr.zip and gapps-jb.1.zip to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch off your Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. You can do that by pressing and holding down the Volume Up key, Home button (middle key), and the Power button simultaneously until recovery boots.
- NOTE: Once in recovery, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Home button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. From the main recovery menu, select Backup and Restore and select Backupon the next screen.
- Perform a full wipe by doing the following:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Resetand confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advance. From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Install ZIP From SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP From SD Card and locate the cm-10-20120723-UNOFFICIAL-d2spr.zip file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your mobile phone.
- After installation is complete, go back and flash the gapps-jb.1.zip in the same manner as steps 6 and 7.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Nowto restart your phone.
- To head back to your previous ROM, reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery and select Backup and Restore.On the next screen, select Restore to install your previous backup ROM.
Terrific! You have successfully flashed the preview build of CyanogenMod 10 on your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710.