If you've been hanging around the Android community long enough, you'll know that you can experience more than just what you get out of the box. There's a whole world of customization waiting for you, but you'll need to equip your phone properly to be able to take them on. The tool that you need is custom recovery, specifically ClockworkMod Recovery.
This custom recovery has recently taken a step up to Version 6.0 but what does this huge upgrade mean? For those of you who hesitate to make a NANDroid backup every time you flash a custom ROM because you're afraid of eating up your precious memory, ClockworkMod Recovery will no longer accept your excuses. Backups are not only 4 to 5 times faster than before, but backups are also smaller at around 15-20 MB in size, thanks to Koushik Dutta, the developer of ClockworkMod Recovery.
Version 6.0 isn't just any regular ClockworkMod Recovery; your Volume, Power, and Home buttons can finally take a break because this is ClockworkMod Touch Recovery. You can easily backup your ROMs and flash customizations using your fingers.
If you want to learn how to install ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 220.127.116.11 on Galaxy S3 I9300, check out the rest of this guide.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S3, model numberGT-I9300. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing Samsung Kies.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Download these to your computer:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Extract Odin3_v3.04.zip to get the Odin3 v3.04.exe file.
- Turn off your Galaxy S3.
- Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Down, Home, and Power keys until the screen turns on. Press Volume Up to continue into Download Mode.
- Double-click on Odin3 v3.04.exe to launch it.
- Connect your Galaxy S3 to your computer. Once Odin recognizes your phone, you should see an “Added!” message in Odin's lower left message box.
- If you do not receive this message, make sure that you have installed the drivers properly. You can also use the USB ports on the back of your CPU.
- In Odin, click the PDA button. Browse for the recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-i9300.tar file and select it.
- Important: Do not make any other changes in Odin. Make sure that that the “Re-Partition” option box is not checked.
- Click the Start button in Odin to start flashing the recovery image on your Galaxy S3.
- Once the flashing is done, you'll see a PASS message on the Odin window and your phone will automatically reboot.
- If Odin gets stuck and doesn't seem to be doing anything, or if you get a FAIL message, do the following:
- Disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Close Odin.
- Remove the phone's battery for a few seconds.
- Re-insert it.
- Once you see the Samsung logo, you can disconnect your phone from your computer.
- You can access ClockworkMod Touch Recovery by shutting off your phone and holding down the Home and Volume Up buttons for about 5 seconds.
Congratulations! You now have ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 22.214.171.124 on your Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. Give those physical buttons a rest and simply tap your way through flashing custom ROMs, mods, tweaks, and hacks on your device.