It has been weeks since the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 was launched into the market, but this phone is still one of the hottest talks in numerous forums and communities. As you may know, the Galaxy S3 is the latest addition to the Galaxy series, sporting an HD Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen and a mighty quad-core processor. Everything is faster and smoother with this phone, and if you are an owner of this most coveted device, you are one lucky individual.
The Galaxy S3 came to the market packed with Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) and the latest TouchWiz UI, very much impressive even to hardcore Android users. But now, the hype is no longer because of ICS. Instead, people are scrambling to get their hands on the updated and latest Android version: Jelly Bean.
If divine intervention led you to this website, then we should thank the heavens because your Samsung Galaxy S3 can now run on Jelly Bean through a CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM. This ROM is an early preview of the coming official CM10 ROM but, unfortunately, has several things that don't work. Hopefully in the coming days, this ROM will be updated and further developed to ensure its stability for daily use.
Follow the requirements and instructions below to upgrade the Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10 (unofficial).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S3, model number GT-I9300. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 with CyanogenMod 9 (or any AOSP-based custom ROM) and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Your phone's USB cable.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Jelly Bean CM10 Preview #9 (cm-10-20120726-EXPERIMENTAL-i9300-CODEWORKX.zip, md5sum: 4ba35612981a35a3d60b0dc8aec4b31b)
- GApps (Google Apps) package (gapps-jb-20120713.zip, md5sum: bcb4f6da6a4af4f57cf803cf724938e0)
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Jelly Bean CM10 Preview #9 ROM file and the GApps (Google Apps) package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch your phone off then boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until Recovery Mode boots.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card and select choose ZIP from SD card. Select the CyanogenMod 10 package file. Confirming the installation on the next screen will start flashing the ROM to your phone.
- Once installation is done, install the GApps package file in the same manner as in step 3. This will install apps like Google Mail, Google Play Store, and etc.
- Go back to the main menu and select Wipe data/factory reset. Confirm the action on the next screen and wait until the process is finished.
- After installation completes, select Go back and select Reboot system now. This will reboot you phone to the recently installed CM10 ROM.
Awesome! You have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean using CyanogenMod 10 ROM. Although this ROM is still undergoing further developments, how do you like it so far? Let us know your thoughts through commenting below.